Top Box key broke. Where yo get a new one made?

My key broke off in my top box but I was able to get the broken part out. Anyone else have this issue and how did you get a new key. Just looking for ideas before heading to the dealer.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
I have the Honda top box on mine and it uses a Ilco x132 blank from my local lock Smith. Hopefully there's enough of the broken piece to identify the depth of cuts required for your key.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I believe that GIVI was the OE supplier to Honda for the top box. They may have replacements available. I do know they have complete locksets.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
+1 to RedNigel's statement. I bought a used Touratech mount for my Garmin 550 and it lacked a key so I took it to the local True Value where they cut keys and they were able to make keys for me without a problem.

There may be a slight problem if the top box is still locked onto the bike!

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
If you have all the parts of he key any competent key cutter can make you a anew key.

They just clamp the various bits in the key duplicating machine and cut you a new one.

Seagrass

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
IF you have a broken key, Take it to a locksmith. I took a blank I had for my top box to the local hardware store where I had a few cut over the years. What I received was unusable. I was told the blank must have been thinner then the original key, it was cut way to deep. Since I knew the blank and the key where the same size, I just said your should never cut a key again, and left. I was out the cost of the key, of course, and learn available lesson, to say a couple of pennies.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It sounds as if the broken piece is still buried in the lock cyl which is a problem.

OP
OP
Silverfox50
I took it to a locksmith yesterday and they made a new key, but it will fit into the lock but will not turn. I'm going to go back today with the case and hopefully get it figured out.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Same on my GF's NT700 these days, apparently she tried to rotate the barrel with the key only partly in...
Managed to straighten it, but a significant crack opposite to the deep profile cut, definite risk of braking soon...

Since it's the OEM case, hence made by Givi, I went for a Givi Z140R spare lock set size 40

Swapping went like a breeze, under a minute or so... lift the latch, pry the cir-clip off, pull the bar off and the barrel out, insert new kit in reverse order, circlip on, check with pliers that it's properly seated, check proper operation, done...

Contrary to the product picture has Givi changed the design/concept of how they cut those keys:

Improved safety against picking and the remaining shank is way more rigid and resistivity against unintentional abuse...

Last edited:
Top Bottom