Top Box key

bodgerbloke52

Has any one found any method of converting the lock on the Honda top box to the same single key that the bike came with, two keys is a pain.

Roger

OP
OP

bodgerbloke52

That was my thought as well, just wondered if any one had already dealt with the issue

Roger

Pardon me, I didn't read your question in detail, and I don't have a top box.

Like he said, a trip to a locksmith is in order.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I don't have a Honda top box because I saved the Givi V46 from my previous bike. Just going by the length of
the key, I'd say the lock cylinder for the ignition & side lids are much longer than those used on the Honda top
box so any conversion to make all three take the same key would be costly, even if it were possible. I'd bet that
top box is used for more than one model in Europe. This is only a guess on my part. :)

OP
OP

bodgerbloke52

Will see what my Spokane Locksmith can do when I get back from Arizona.

Thanks all for input

Roger

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Roger,

If the locksmith can't re-key it have him look at the lock in the locking glove box and see if it would work in the top box... That would be an easy part to order and have keyed to the other locks if it will fit / adapt to the top box....

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Look at Chuck's (that's Chuck as in "Chucksklrst" here on the Forum) post about his "keyed knobs." He cuts off a key, epoxies it into an oil can lid or something, and leaves those in his left hand fairing pocket and gas tank/pannier lock. Really handy and neat-looking. You'd want to put them away when you had important stuff in those areas, but for traveling, it's great.

Since I usually don't have anything but my cane in my left pannier, I wouldn't worry too much about leaving it in all the time. I don't think most thieves would figure out that the left pannier gave them access to the right one.

'Course, we don't have a very bright group of thieves out here. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chuck, why do you have different earplugs for morning and afternoon? Strange....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had noticed them when we were in Limon and meant to ask you then. I figured it was something like that. Must be some connection between ear plugs and meds. I carry mine (ear plugs, that is) in an empty prescription bottle in the tank bag.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The key knobs made of caps and silicone. I hate pulling out a key to open the panniers.
I used oil bottle caps and epoxy. To get a nice clean flush fit, the glove box key is a bit shorter than the pannier key. So make sure you measure twice and cut once.

Last edited:
Top Bottom