Touring bike little demonstration

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Impressive, but, a professional stunt rider can make any bike with power look brilliant.
Many of those moves would be impossible or less impressive on the NT as it is 100+hp short!
At a BMW sponsored show it is obviously done to make potential buyers think "I want one of those show that I can show off too".
Of course, they never will but it makes them feel good.

Macka

Bike
2011 NT700 ABS (Frodo)
Thanks for the video.

I had a BMW K1100 in 2001/2002. Great machine that spanked several sport bikes on CA 198 (near Coalinga), the Ortega Highway, Palm to Pines Highway near Palm Springs, and round the Julian / Ramona loops while I was on a SoCal engineering project. Yeah, it was a tourer meant to replace my 2-wheeled pickup (an 83 Gold Wing) that died while on the project there. But the K-bike moved quickly and gracefully, and the smooth transitions at speed is what kept it ahead of the more edgy sportbikes on anything but a straight line run. (Or maybe it was rookie riders I was up against. Not sure.)

But, despite a youth misspent on hot-shoe power slides, wheelies, and the reckless driving tickets that went with them, I'm now a Go Far guy, not a Go Fast guy. So I'm aligned with Macka's observation. Indeed, the reason Honda went from ST-1100 to ST-1300, and Kawasaki went from Concourse 1000 to Concourse 1400, is because the market demanded more horsepower. And it's bragging rights only that drives that market since most of the riders wouldn't know the edge of the envelope if they saw it coming, and wouldn't get close if they knew how thin the edge was (like those of us who've gone over).

Sadly, I think that's much the same reason the NT only went for two years here in the states. It didn't carry the hype the market demanded.

But I guarantee, unless things have changed since 2010, the NT can stand on the rear wheel. It's just a bit trickier and a bit rougher landing with linked brakes messing up controls when aloft. So if you're not familiar with the techniques, don't try it for the first time on an NT. Find a beater dirt bike in a junk pile, first.

C'mon...How many are gonna confess to trying it with their NT?

You've got one, so far.

Last edited:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Papa Lou, I have seen a couple of video clips of people doing tricky things on an NT.
They are far better riders than I will ever be!
Sometimes I wish that I just had a little bit more power.
Then I overtake something on the highway and say to myself; *7%#, that was easier than I thought.
I look down at the speedo, ease the throttle back and look in the mirrors for flashing lights.
In Oz, we have VERY strictly enforced speed limits and a more powerful bike would probably get me into licence trouble.
It is really only when I am fully laden with camping gear/food/water/clothes etc that I want a little more.
Solo it has more than enough here.

Macka

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Those stunt riders are always impressive, no matter what brand and size of bike they ride! :)

Bike
2011 NT700 ABS (Frodo)
a more powerful bike would probably get me into licence trouble.
Oh, Macka, you are not the only one afflicted with Limited Throttle Discipline Disorder. I'm "Go Far" guy now, as mentioned. But with a past like mine I have no doubt that if I had the horsepower, I would use it. I don't even test ride repli-racers, or big power tourers. I'd lose my license ("licence" in the Down Under) before I got the machine back from a short test ride!

Heck, I darn near lost my license riding a single-cylinder Triumph Trophy 250 during my high school years. That thing knew only two throttle positions - full closed and full open. Photo of that bike is attached to another thread discussing chains, so I won't repeat it here.

I've mellowed with age, but only because I know myself well enough that I avoid the temptations. The NT has what I need.

And for DirtFlier - I agree on the impressive stunts those guys do. I'm most impressed because I know first hand what it takes to learn "the balance point" on such machines, and the cost of failures (sometimes flesh, sometimes dollars) that are part of the learning process. From your avatar, I'm thinking you know a bit about that stuff as well.

Ride well.

Top Bottom