[Review] TP Checker TPMS

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I decided I wanted to try this and I knew I was taking a chance as their ads all stated
the pressure range from 0 to 50 psi and the temp range was -4 F to 176 F, also, you
can't adjust the front/rear hi/low settings but I typically set both tires the same so I didn't care so much.

However, when I got the item, there was an updated specs page added which
states the pressure range has been updated to 0 to 74 psi and you can now adjust the front and rear hi/low warning settings independently so those running different kinds of tires may love this.

I installed this on the Tenere as I needed to put new tires on and wanted to scrub those in
as well as give the TPMS a go..

I purchase this from Wingstuff.com for around $160.

Positives:
  • Price - at $150, it's probably the cheapest of the inside-wheel TPMS products.
  • Monitoring - The longest I've seen it take to record tire pressure and temperature is about 20 seconds, fastest was about 2 seconds. You don't need to be moving forward for the sensor to record like other systems and it's not as long as several mins with other systems. The manual states it will take up to 3 mins to record pressure/temp but I've not seen it take that long at all.
  • Sensors - These are sensors that looks like the ones that go in cars and it has metal
    valve stems, the would easily mount to an NT wheel.
  • Display - The blue display w/white numbers is very easy to see in bright light.

Negatives:
  • No angled valve stems - yes, only vertical ones however, if you know your pressure and it can be retrieved quickly, you're not going to have to deal with adding air or checking air as often so may be a wash.

Conclusion
I give this a big thumbs up!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Wow that was fast.....!:eek1:

Did installing the TPMS senders require any additional effort, or weights, to balance the tires?
I did a lot of playing w/traction control off in the dirt... each spin of the rear tire probably takes off a few miles.. LOL The Tourance EXP tires it came with always felt great, never felt like they were giving up any grip but I'm not sure I'd get more than 4k out of the rear, the front still looks great so I'm thinking it would have gone 10k easily if not a lot more give just road-service.. I decided to replace w/Michelin Anakee 2s as I have a trip to FL I want to make and didn't want to risk showing cords on the way home.

The specs say the sensors weigh in at 27 grams so about an ounce. So, depending on how off the tire itself is, it will take some weight to counteract that. My OEM tire didn't have any weights on it at all which is strange but sometimes they do balance with no weight. I had to add about 1.5 oz to the rear wheel, and just moved the 1 oz that was on the front wheel to a different position.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Mellow, I take it that you leave the thing turned on as you ride so that you would get an early warning if you have a puncture.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Mellow, I take it that you leave the thing turned on as you ride so that you would get an early warning if you have a puncture.
Yes, it's connected to switched power so it's on as soon as the bike is on.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I know it's been a while...but...how are they holding up.

And did you do the mounting yourself? Was it hard to avoid the sensor when mounting/dismounting?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
They suck!

Don't buy these things. Get the Doran instead if you want one.

Very sorry for not updating this thread but every one of these I've installed or helped install failed after about a year if not as soon as it was installed. Junk.

Top Bottom