TPMS for $99

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The price is right! I wonder how weatherproof the receiver is? I have a TPMS on Traveller and wouldn't be without one.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That looks good. I'm still running the Doran TPMS that I've had for several years now. I'll keep using it till the sensor batteries die and then replace it with the "Rupse" TPMS that I bought back in April or May. It's branded as a "Rupse" only on the white tag that's attached to the otherwise unbranded box. It looks like a decent unit and does have replaceable sensor batteries. In addition to a pressure measurement, it also monitors tire temperature. It's got a preset temp alarm at 70C. I have no idea what an acceptable tire temperature is. Does anyone know? 70C is 158F -- I've never felt a tire that seemed to be anywhere that warm.

Here's the link to mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Lightning-proof-Motorcycle-Monitoring-Two-wheeled/dp/B01ALC6QCC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3KFU6C5PH5AQS&keywords=tpms+motorcycle&qid=1563648926&refinements=p_89:RUPSE&rnid=2528832011&s=automotive&sprefix=TPMS+motor,aps,280&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I looked up some info from Michelin on tire warmers for track tires. For some of their race tires they set the tire warmers to 70 or 90 deg C (158-194 deg F). Road tires should not generate that kind of heat so that sounds like a good alarm point for a street tire.
When summertime sun is here the road surface could be >120 deg plus the rear tire is mounted where it picks up engine heat also. It gets warm.

Brad

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Phil, I use the same unit under a different name and find it to be excellent.
I have had it for about four years now, it has done about 30,oookm and I have only recharged it once, about 2 years ago.

On my trip home from Canberra today the maximum ambient temperature was 14C.
The front tyre was running at 14C and the rear tyre was running at 26C.
I think that I have my temp warning set at 60C IIRC.
I have seen the rear tyre temperature well above 50C in Summer and I do remember the temp warning coming on once.
I did not stop but just kept an eye on it and slowed down until the warning stopped as it cooled a bit.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks for that info, Macka! Years ago when I was a bicycle rider, I had a tandem bike in my garage. I was an active member of the Tandem Club of America forum. One of the myths about tandems was that with caliper brakes squeezing the front rims, it could be possible to get the front rim so hot that the tube would blow out. Nobody had ever had that happen, but one of our members who worked at the National Atmospheric Science and Research Center in Boulder did some computer simulations that calculated energy and heat. He found some little temperature-sensitive dots that changed colors from silver to black when they reached a designated temperature. He asked for volunteers and I stepped up. We got dots ranging in temp from 160F to 450F and put them on the rims. A buddy of mine and I took my tandem to Horsetooth Reservoir west of Ft Collins. There's a long down hill on west side that we got up to 57mph. Our scientist had calculated that we'd generate the most heat by going downhill at 60% of that speed, so we sped up to 37mph and then held that speed. Not a single dot got hot. We went to another steeper but shorter hill. Again 57mph. Again, 37mph maintained by braking, again no dot got hot. We went back up that hill, let our speed get to 57, braked hard down to 20, sped back up to 57, braked hard again, and managed to change the 180-degree dot on the front tire. So we found an even steeper hill, and let the speed build to 55, braked hard, 55, braked hard, and that time we got 220F dots to change color. Now most tandems have disc brakes and I don't think the myth has survived.

Top Bottom