Traded the NT

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I traded off the NT today for a Kawasaki 650 Versys LT. The NT has been good to me but I think the change will be good. The weather today was questionable with stormy looking clouds moving through so I have only been on it a few miles. I didn't want to learn a new bike with new tires in a downpour.
It feels very light, is smooth running. Of course it is chain drive. Been a long time for me to have a chain on a road bike. I was concerned about the measured seat height but it seemed OK when sitting on it. If the seat is a problem I can lower the bike a tad.
I will likely post a few NT items for sale that someone may need after I look them over.
I'll check in to the forum to make sure sure you guys don't get too far out of line.

Brad
DSCN0645.JPGDSCN0646.JPG

Lance

Directly above the Center of the Earth
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I really like the new Versys
Went riding with a few guys that had a 650 and. 1009 they looked the business seemed comfortable they were way out in front of
Me on the Victory
Congratulations hope you enjoy it

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I hear nothing but good things about the Versys 650. Enjoy and keep us posted on how it works for you as you add up the miles on it.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Brad I hope you like your Versys as much as I liked mine back in 2008. It was probably the most fun bike I've had. Light and quick and very willing. I sold it for the NT which had more protection but was a little lazier. Maybe, where you live, the lack of protection won't be as much fo a problem as it was for me.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Brad I hope you like your Versys as much as I liked mine back in 2008. It was probably the most fun bike I've had. Light and quick and very willing. I sold it for the NT which had more protection but was a little lazier. Maybe, where you live, the lack of protection won't be as much fo a problem as it was for me.
Hmmph! Weather protection couldn't have been too much of a problem since your riding season is only two weeks long to begin with!

😈

Mike
..makin' up for the licks I didn't get in at SF

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
No reason to disappear from the forum. I didnt. A good long comparo between the V and the N would be interesting. The V looks to be a bit more adventure touring, like my Vstrom. I just got back from a 2000 plus mile trip on my VFR with a chain and I used Dupont wax lube, cheeper than dirt at Walmart. And didnt have to adjust once. Including a 544 mile day. I do need a taller front screen. I dont reget trading in my NT at all. We cruised at 85 for long stretches with power to spare. Frosty's GPS will tell some stories about how fast we passed some trucks...The NT is a great all around bike if you cant have 3. I have an adv tourer, a road sled, and now the VFR. There are no perfect bikes....but some bikes are more fun for different people for many reasons.

OP
OP
ARKNT
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Thanks all.
The Versys windscreen works much better than I thought it would. Air is pushed well over my helmet. Not like a full size windshield but not bad. The little handguards must be effective also. With vented gloves my hands started sweating yesterday. I think the bike will work well for my Arkansas day trips and errand running. The new feels good, like how much better your bike feels with new tires.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
At my height I liked the Givi touring windscreen on th Versys. There are days I wish I had it back. The Tiger 800 I have now have is 70# heavier than the Versys but 95# lighter than the NT and has 95 hp. That extra 30 hp is very noticeable.

OP
OP
ARKNT
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I haven’t put many miles on my new Versys but I thought I would write down some positives and negatives mostly compared to the NT. Of course this is how it works and fits me. Your riding styles may differ.

Positives:

Power, there is more power and very smooth.
Less Weight.
Suspension Adjustability, rear preload, front preload and rebound dampening, The ride compliance seems quite a bit better for me. An odd note on front suspension on the newer 650s. There is only one fork spring (in left leg). The right leg has no spring and has the dampening cartridge. Seems odd design to me given that the forces would be uneven.
Pannier Latches, the latches seem much better design.

Negatives:

Seat a little high, not sure yet if I will lower it a little.
No Center Stand, so now I need a stand to do normal maintenance, possibly front and rear. There are aftermarket center stands being made for it.
Chain Drive, messy, this is mostly a negative but the less unsprung weight should allow the suspension to work better.
Less Wind Protection, for my mostly shorter rides not a biggie.
No Fairing Pocket Storage, Not normally a big deal but the NT pocket made a good dry place for a garage door opener.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Brad, as a former Versys rider I agree with you.

You didn't mention that the Versys has a noticeably shorter wheel base. That could be a positive or negative depending on whether you wanted quicker handling or better stability.
Also I found the fuel mileage is better with the NT.
The NT has a more accurate spedometer.
Maintenance is a little easier on the Versys. (except for lack of center stand)

But the one thing that got me off the Versys and onto an NT was the weather protection.
I had the wettest ride ever on my Versys. It was an all-day rain and got worse as the day went on. I was only about 350 miles from home so I just kept going. (I should have stopped). Yes, I should have stopped when I got to the hill overlooking the Duluth Harbor and saw the lightning coming down on the "Highbridge" that I had to cross to get home 45 miles away. I was going west to east so I probably rode under that same cloud all day. It was the wettest I have ever been without falling in the water.
Maybe the Versys gets a "positive" for that because it made me smarter.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I liked the Versys so much I went and got a Kaw 2019 Versys 1000 LT SE and the Kaw 2017 Versys X300. I filled the middle with a 2013 V-Strom 650. :) The V-Strom 650 fit me better than the Versys 650 and the V-Strom has a 19 inch front wheel a bit longer wheel base, so it does the Colorado dirt roads a bit better. My old NT was replaced with a FJR.

Top Bottom