Transmission Questions

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Hey guys, since I am new to motorcycles I might be asking a dumb question but on my NT I have 1 thing that doesnt seem to be right with the transmission.

When I put the transmission in Neutral coming to a stop or at a stop sometimes it wont come out of neutral, I can press down for first and it doesnt engage and just come back to neutral, pulling up for second doesnt do anything either, I have to release the clutch and then pull it in and try again. It doesnt happen that frequently, but more so when I have been riding for awhile. Also first and second gear engagements while moving are quite a bit more harsh sounding sometimes as well.

Is this normal? I have a month left of warranty. So if I need to take it in I need to do it soon.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Paul stated it correctly. The engagement dogs in the transmission are not aligned and merely rolling the bike a tiny
amount, either forward or back, helps greatly. I'd see this a lot in classes when a student would stomp on the shifter
repeatedly thinking that more force was required.

OP
OP
schwartz
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Paul stated it correctly. The engagement dogs in the transmission are not aligned and merely rolling the bike a tiny
amount, either forward or back, helps greatly. I'd see this a lot in classes when a student would stomp on the shifter
repeatedly thinking that more force was required.
Well stomping on a mechanical object that has 1500 miles on it seems very logical way to make it work /scarcasm

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
Also make sure the rpm's aren't too high when trying to shift into low gears as the engagement dogs can round off because of the speed of the gears.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Might work better to stay out of neutral unless you're putting it away for the day. When coming to a stop just shift into first and hold the clutch. That's what I do and can't ever recall a shifting into first problem.

OP
OP
schwartz
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Thanks for the input guys, I just wanted to make sure that it was not just my bike, I dont mind the issue, I know how to get around it so as long as nothing is broken I am a happy camper...well I would be happy if it wasn't raining and I was out riding.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I've had this (unable to engage 1st gear) too. I just let out the clutch a bit and pull it back in and complete the shift. It wasn't a surprise because I had the same thing happen in stick shift cars. (not to mention the one a friend had "back in the day" with a non-synchronized transmission) I think the "roughness" between 1st and 2nd is feeling it go through neutral. If you catch the shift point just right and pull up sharply, it's a smooth shift.

Igo

Every motorcycle I've ever had will behave this way time to time. It's normal. And Honda Transmissions go "Clunk Clunk". It really gets your attention until you become accustomed to it. No biggy.

taldric

Never had the problem getting into first, but the one I hate is when I'm shifting from first to second coming off a stop and the transmission decides it likes neutral instead. It always happens when I'm trying to get off a stop fast. Doesn't happen all the time, but it sure is embarrassing to hear your engine rev up really fast while you just coast!

Just to be the contrarian but I have a bad habit of shifting into neutral in all sorts of situations and have never had my NT not engage in either direction. I would suggest that since you do have a small warrenty period left that you at least let the dealer see the bike and maybe give it a drive. Some possibility of the clutch out of adjustment.

Lorien

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Part of the transmission shifting mechanism is a notched wheel that typically bolts to the end of the shift drum. The shift drum controls the shift forks that move gears in-and-out of engagement. A spring-loaded, roller wheel runs against the notched wheel to lock it into gear after each shift, plus there are limiters to prevent you passing a gear, either up or down, i.e. going from 1st to 3rd as you can do in most cars. The notches are for each gear and neutral also has it's own notch but it's only about half as deep as the notch for the gears. This is why it takes a bit more effort to shift from 1st to
2nd gear and also why neutral can sometimes be more difficult to find.

Igo

For those who do not know, you can adjust the shift lever plain if the factory setting is not natural to you.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I believe the primary concern was is "my" machine broken. Think most of us said no. The NT has a very vocal final drive, the good thing that it isn't singing fix me write big checks along the way.

All of this is normal and requires no adjustment to the machine, but feel free to tweak it to your hearts content. I would rather not fix things that are not broken.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If I remember correctly most of the road tests mentioned how smooth the NT shifted. While I don't have a problem with it I would not have described it that way. It almost sounds like a Harley to me.

Top Bottom