Twisted Throttle NC700X Project Bike

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I like how that turned out. I sat on one at a dealer and liked the NC700X. They get phenominal mileage.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I sat on that bike when I was at Twisted Throttle. It's a great-looking job, but it wouldn't make the NC a long-distance touring bike for me. Not much weather protection and not a whole lot of carrying capacity. But for a bunch of people who get NCs will like what they can do to the bike w/ TT's help.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wow...wonder what the total sum of money is that they put into that bike? I am not knocking the bike....many of those options would make the NC much more usable for me....
But for the money the bike costs plus the value of all those options, you still don't have an NT...I really like the NC's engine...but If I was going to go this route, I would buy and farkel up
a Weestom. Interesting peg repositioning kit, I must say....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
One also needs to short shift it as the red line is so low. When I took one out for a test ride, I keep hitting the rev limiter. I guess one gets use to it but not being able to rev the bike takes the fun out of the ride IMHO. Especially in the twistys.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd rather have those panniers than the TT ones. They're semi-soft and not waterproof (although they do come with waterproof liners). The Honda bags look bigger to me.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am with you...I like the hard bags....its a bit hard to tell the useful volume of those hard bags but it looks substantial, I would like a wider windscreen, and a gas filler relocation kit, I would have to give this bike a second look if the NT didn't exist....
I'd rather have those panniers than the TT ones. They're semi-soft and not waterproof (although they do come with waterproof liners). The Honda bags look bigger to me.

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
One also needs to short shift it as the red line is so low. When I took one out for a test ride, I keep hitting the rev limiter. I guess one gets use to it but not being able to rev the bike takes the fun out of the ride IMHO. Especially in the twistys.
I came away with the same feeling after a test ride... Just felt too scooter-ish to me with that low redline and I love to hear a bike run in the high rpms when it's a nice spirited ride.

I hit the rev limiter so many times just taking it easy riding the access road where the dealership was and then they switched the traditional location of the horn/signal button so I kept hitting the horn.. LOL I'm sure I could have gotten used to that but one ride on the 650 VStrom and I was hooked.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I would have to give this bike a second look if the NT didn't exist....
I would take the Wee Strom over this hands down if the NT did not exist...........O wait a min. I already have the Wee and the NT700V. And I don't have any more room in the garage for a NC700X. I believe the Hard bags from Honda are too small for a Helmet to fit in. The NC700X is designed as a town/city commuter. Put your lunch and paper work in the bags and ride to work, Or go shopping the way the Europeans shop. They pretty much do there grocery shopping for the day each day or every other day. The bike gets good fuel mileage in the European cities and be able to navigate the cobble stone roads of Europe. The towns and cities are very close to each other. If you ride 600 miles you can travel thru 4 to five countries if you are not carful. I would never make a long distance tour out west here in the US on one of those.. That is what my ST1300 is for.:eek:

Bob

Honda is adding 50cc to this engine for 2014. If they push up the rev limiter limit it might be a better choice for a tourer. Still would want to see a version with a full fairing, big screen, and maybe a belt drive instead of the chain. Oh yeah... And no beak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hummm...good info....never thought about what you two said about the rev limiter but that would bother me too....don't remember reading about that in those road tests ....
I came away with the same feeling after a test ride... Just felt too scooter-ish to me with that low redline and I love to hear a bike run in the high rpms when it's a nice spirited ride.

I hit the rev limiter so many times just taking it easy riding the access road where the dealership was and then they switched the traditional location of the horn/signal button so I kept hitting the horn.. LOL I'm sure I could have gotten used to that but one ride on the 650 VStrom and I was hooked.

Top Bottom