Unwanted Heated Seat

Bike
ST1300,R1200RT
As I ride my recently purchased NT700, I am begining to appreciate this bike. The bike is nice looking,handles well but requires some tweaking for this rider. Currently I am experiencing unwanted heat in the right side (as seated on the bike) and front seat area. After searching the Forum, most riders resolved this issue with repositioning the rubber gasket in the proper grooves and snug against the gas tank. In addition to this, I insulated under the tank and around rear medifold with little reduction of temp (107 vs115 deg). I am interested to know if anyone has ceramic coated the the exhaust pipes and has this procedure reduced the heat issue. Thanks for any input on this issue.
John

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I believe the heat on the right front comes from the radiator overflow tank. It is mounted under your right knee below the right pocket.
I don't know what you can do about it. It really only bothers me when the temps are really high.
I find holding my knee an inch or two out, rather than letting lay against the knee pad makes a difference.
Although I have to remember to do this, I am finding it comes more naturally over time.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
And I've never noticed it! Even at temps of up to 110F.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am with Phil. I have not noticed any heat radiating from the NT while riding. In fact in the winter I wish I could feel it. Maybe its due to all the gear I wear. I wear boots and overpants in all weather so from the waist down I am pretty insulated.

hawa

Hello John,

I also experienced the heat in right side faring, seat and tank. I have put a ceramic heat shield above where the rear exhaust pipe comes out of the cylinder head and turns forward. This solved the heating up of the tank and some of the heating of the seat. Also I had my exhaust pipes covered by Zircotech with a ceramic coating. Also this helped, but still not enough in city traffic. Next thing is to cover the inner of the right faring with self-adhesive ceramic coating, also from Zircotech.

Regards, HaWa (from the 'cool' Netherlands)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Bike
ST1300,R1200RT
Hi HaWa,
Thanks for your reply. I was begaining to think that the heat issue followed me from the ST1300. How difficult was it to remove the rear exhaust pipe? Do you have any pics of the heat shield, its location and where did you purchased it? It has been a hot summer here in Michigan. Thanks again for your E-Mail.
John

skiper

that IS so cool , very nice engineering hawa , very nice...

Top Bottom