Urban Guerilla, Part I

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Excellent - thanx for this Chris.

Seeing when this piece was written, may I add another?

I am retired, but still work part-time at a university. The closer I get to school, the more I am on the look out for texters. As the story says, this may be unfair, but its almost always young women texting. I notice that they drive slower than the flow, are late accelerating from the traffic light, and often stray from their lane. They often drive "girl cars" - smaller cars, painted in fingernail polish colors and with the universty parking hang-tag dangling from the rear view mirror. I avoid them like the plague - they scare me.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Excellent article. The only thing I can add is to ride with obnoxiously bright lights. That flash of light in the car's mirror will alert the driver. I use my high beams and a pair of Denalis. On the rear of the bike, have a brake light pattern that sticks out. Running lights that are always on are so-so. When they all come on when you touch the brake--well, that gets their attention.

As for turn signals on a car, all that the signal tells you is that it works. It has nothing to do with the driver's intention. I always wait for the car to initiate the turn.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Total invisibility. When my front tire hits the street, I become invisible. Drivers can't see, they will do dangerous things, but, because I know they can't see me, I drive to suit that scenario.
It has worked for me since I got my little Yamaha YL1 Twinjet in 1966.

Reminds me of a near hit I had lately. In small town America when I see a late model sedan parked at a 45 degree angle away from me in the exit lane for Wal Mart. This means that the driver's pillar post for the windows is blocking any view of my 2 wheeler. Sure enough out they come about 30 feet in front of me. I had-through experience-expected it all the way and simply pulled out in the large curb lane with the horn blaring just as a reminder.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
All of this takes a minimum of 6 months of constant effort to develop.

Other things:
Avoid riding in the center of the lane in town, particularly at intersections. Lane centers at traffic signals and signs tend to be very slick in the rain. Although I ride mostly in the left tire track, I occasionally shift to the right for a bit. I think the change in position helps car drivers' attention.

For that matter, just after a rain starts, the water can bring up the road film making the pavement slippery. After it has been raining a while, the water will wash the film away.

I see a lot of accidents here in Saudi Arabia, many caused by simple stupidity. At an intersection where you have two left turn lanes, fender benders where the car in the inner turn lane makes a left turn and the car in the outer turn lane makes a U-turn are pretty common.

Wet leaves on the pavement have an unpredictable effect on traction. So do painted lines.

Get in the habit of always using your turn signals even without traffic around you. If you always use your turn signals, you will not forget the one time where it will be very, very important.

As for turn signals on a car, all that the signal tells you is that it works.
In a lot of places (El Paso, TX comes to mind), turn signals are just decorations on the corners of the cars.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Seems we forget to make allowances for us. We will make mistakes. Always give yourself margin. That right turn looks clean and you could goose the throttle as you near the apex....except....someone dropped a quart of oil right THERE.

Or many days after a rain you hit the one intersection that still has dirt along the edge of the road, right where you want to turn left. This most often happens when you decide to goose it to turn before that oncoming car gets to you, then you realize you have a 3 ft wide strip of sand and rocks in your path.

I do like his avoidance guide. Volvos. :) I also watch for any high end car, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc. Those drivers (invalid generalizing) believe that because they spent more on their car that they have the right to go where and when they want and it is up to you to get out of their way.

Being a truck driver I watch out for them. It is difficult to see small objects on the right hand side of a larger truck. The multiple mirrors help but don't always work. Be careful on the right side of any vehicle.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
An advantage to riding as a commuter is that you ride over the same roads day in and day out. You can identify the hazards ...
You also become familiar with the traffic patterns. How many times while riding through an unfamiliar place have you thought, "Crap! I should be in the other lane."?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
An advantage to riding as a commuter is that you ride over the same roads day in and day out.
True, but with a possible disadvantage... On my last long, miserable, Atlanta commute I got very familiar with the route, too familiar in fact. There were times I would slip in to "autopilot" mode and go several miles without really noticing it. Not a good thing in a car, potentially a very bad thing on the bike.... I found it worked better for me to have several different "mini routes" options diverging on and off the main route of the commute to keep me concentrating on my driving / riding by shaking up the route to some degree. At least in my case the old saying "Familiarity breeds contempt" holds true for the road as well....

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Commuting in heavy urban traffic is definately not for the day dreamer. 90% of the miles I have racked up over the 40+ years I have been riding motorcycles and bicycles have been commuting in city traffic. All of the advice being given is spot on. Over the years I have found that the most important thing you need to develope is your situational awareness and your predictive abilities. I very seldom have close calls anymore. The ability to predict the movement of cars and traffic is what will generally keep you out of trouble.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Yes. Sometimes you just "know" what a driver is going to do. On the other hand, say you are right one time out of every five. You will always remember that one time. The other four times you forget.

Top Bottom