Using Tyre as a Trip Planning Tool

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
In some of my posts in other threads, I mentioned using Tyre as my trip planning tool. It is very easy to use.

However, after my last trip of 5,500 miles, I have to rescind my recommendation.

Tyre uses Google Maps. The Tyre site says that sometimes Google Maps and Garmin maps differ, and I saw that during my trip. When the two maps differ, my Garmin GPS has to calculate on its own using its Garmin map - and the outcome may not be what you intended.

As an example, during my trip, I overnighted in Glasgow, Montana. I wanted to go from Glasgow to Riverton, Wyoming. I plotted my route of out Glasgow to use MT 24 to Fort Peck and the dammed up Missouri River. Instead, my GPS routed my northwest on US 2 until it met with US 87, at which point I would head south. Very different routes, though both got me to Billings, which was one of my waypoints.

On another occasion, the two maps agreed and navigation was spot on. Leaving Taos, NM, I headed east to Angel Fire, then south to Mora, then traveled along the High Road in the mountains to Chimayo and eventually Santa Fe and Albuquerque. The GPS did exactly what I wanted it to do, including a short deviation I planned through the village of Cordova.

So - - back to Basecamp. There is a tutorial on ADV Rider - I guess I need to buckle down and truly learn Basecamp.

Learning Basecamp is one of my long-postponed goals. I'm down to a week before I leave for the Working on the Railroad Rally. That ought to be getting close enough to the deadline that I can start any day now.

As Willy said to Ethel: "There are no amateurs in this business. That's why we're called PROcrastinators."

Back
Top Bottom