Utopia backrest: Cure for setscrew vibrating loose ?

ett

I bought my NT back in 2015, used from dealer, it had a Utopia backrest installed.
When I first got it; during rides the backrest's setscrew would tighten due to vibration.
Hence every so often; I would have to stop, take my weight off backrest, remove a glove, and use my bare hand to loosen up the backrest's setscrew.

Last year I "got wise" and decided to see if I could do something to prevent the setscrew from tightening up from vibrations.
I removed the setscrew and went shopping to try and find either a replacement screw that I could manipulate with a gloved hand or something that might hold screw in place. Like perhaps a spring.
I found nothing.
Now instead of the setscrew tightening up from vibrations; it loosens up. :confused:

Since I am not the original purchaser of the Utopia backrest.
I'd thought it not proper to contact Utopia for a solution; and instead bug you guys for a possible solution. ;)

Is this a common problem with these backrests ?
Is my backrest perhaps missing something that holds the setscrew in place ?
Anyone have suggestions on what I could implement to hold the setscrew in place AND allow for adjustments with gloved hand ?

Please refer to following images:
P8290171.JPG

P9080035.JPG

P8290174.JPG

Thanks;
--ET

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
You could try some blue locktite... or, you could add 2 nuts/lock washers, one on each side of the bracket and when you get them where you want, tighten.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
You could drill a hole through the screw such that a clip similar to a large safety pin could pass through the hole. This would keep the screw from twisting too much since the metal support would prevent the clip from turning more than, say, 3/4 of a turn or so. With the right clip, you can remove it, then turn the screw, then replace it - all without tools.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I put one of these on the NT many years ago. I remember having a wrench (allen?) in the pouch behind the pad, but never needing it. I would say just use a thin locking nut on either side. Threads may be SAE??

Top Bottom