Valve adjustment - 8000 mile

Avi

Hi - I bought a used NT700 with 5400 miles last year. A month ago I got the coolant flushed and replaced.Bike is at 8000 miles now. Now I realize that at 8000 mile interval, I need to adjust the valve per the manual and flush the coolant again ( I am trying to avoid this waste of coolant as I did it a month ago).
Question - Can I skip this 8000 mile and do this valve adjustment at 16000 miles ( simply skip this for now)? Will this skipping harm my bikes mechanics in any way?

The bike runs smooth and there is no audible issue with the engine sound.

I appreciate your response and thank you in advance.

Regards,
Avi

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Avi, I'd skip the coolant change and do the valve adjustment. You just did the coolant, it'll be fine for another 8K miles. The valves might need adjustment and you won't notice any noise if they do. As you get more miles on the bike (say, over 50K) you might let the valve adjustment interval get longer, but early in the bike's life, it's worth doing on schedule. Especially since you don't know that they were checked at 600 miles.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
You can adjust the valves by just removing the valve covers and not get into the cooling system at all. There is no need to do both if you just serviced the cooling system.

Lots of folks here extend the valve inspection/adjust interval, but AFTER the initial inspection. Keep a record of what the valve clearances are and where you set them. That way you can tell which ones are moving and how much. That will allow you to extend the valve check intervals with confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avi
OP
OP
Avi

Avi

You can adjust the valves by just removing the heads and not get into the cooling system at all. There is no need to do both if you just serviced the cooling system.

Lots of folks here extend the valve inspection/adjust interval, but AFTER the initial inspection. Keep a record of what the valve clearances are and where you set them. That way you can tell which ones are moving and how much. That will allow you to extend the valve check intervals with confidence.
Hi Junglejim - Thank you for your insight as an experienced rider. I will get it adjusted.
On a different note - I gave my bike to a local shop for the coolant flush and replacement - the mechanic owns a harley and i am pretty sure he had never worked on NT's before. I got the work done and after 15 days find this part sitting at the bottom of my handle bar area. I am surprised it never fell off.
Question - Would you know or anyone know where this washer/part belongs on the bike? I have attached the pics of the part. Its a size of a Dime.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Attachments

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Question - Would you know or anyone know where this washer/part belongs on the bike? I have attached the pics of the part. Its a size of a Dime.

Thanks for your time in advance.
This washer looks a lot like the one used on the rubber grommets used in front of the gas tank.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
BRILLOT IS CORRECT. one is on top and bottom of rubber grommet

OP
OP
Avi

Avi

Thank you all. I tried locating the grommets. I will do it again tomorrow.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree about doing the valve adj now because most likely they were never done at 600-mile service.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Remembering that I am a mechanic with almost 50 years of experience I will tell you that I last checked my valve clearances at 64,oookm.
It now has 96,oookm and I have decided that I will recheck them at the next oil change at 98,oookm.
The reason? I checked and adjusted them at 18,oookm when I bought the bike, three of the eight needed VERY minor adjustment.
At 32,oookm only one needed a tiny adjustment. At 48,oookm no adjustment was needed. At 64,oookm no adjustment was needed.
Honda, like some others have got it right with their manufacturing standards.
Most car engines now require no adjustment during the life of the engine although the manufacturer recommends a "sensory" check.
That means listen to them. If they are noisy they need adjustment. These days there is no valve seat recession or mushrooming of the valves.
Clearances loosen if anything, they do not tighten like they used to 30 years ago.

Macka

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A couple of my exhaust valves, one on each cyl head, were always found to be on the tight side during earlier checks but now they seem to have stabilized at 75k miles.

OP
OP
Avi

Avi

Dear Friends - I am greatly thankful for your reply and contribution that comes out of immense experience. Thank you again for your opinion.

Top Bottom