Vintage Honda Series

Bike
Bonneville T120
I was out at my local Honda dealership. After almost two years "Scarlet" has finally experienced pannier latch fatigue syndrome. After tending to business, the parts and service manger took me out back to see several bikes that the owner had just purchased. They looked a bit like this:

except that both were 4 cylinder machines.

We joked around suggesting that Honda should come out with a "Classic" or "Vintage" series of bikes modelled on some old classics. Only the looks however, they should be fuel injected and have all the best modern technology.
Luke and I proposed three bikes (all 4 cylinder). A CB 350, CB 550 and CB 750. A modern CB 350 could come in at a very reasonable price point and would sure beat the hell out of a Rebel.

I think there would be a huge market for this type of bike. After all it works for Triumph with the Bonneville series.

Any thoughts?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
For the small bikes I would prefer a twin. Its lighter, narrower and easier to work on. Unfortunately I think the market in the US for this type of bike is limited but if done right at an attractive price who knows. Triumph did find a market for its Bonneville but its not 350cc either.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR

We joked around suggesting that Honda should come out with a "Classic" or "Vintage" series of bikes modelled on some old classics. Only the looks however, they should be fuel injected and have all the best modern technology.
Luke and I proposed three bikes (all 4 cylinder). A CB 350, CB 550 and CB 750. A modern CB 350 could come in at a very reasonable price point and would sure beat the hell out of a Rebel.

I think there would be a huge market for this type of bike. After all it works for Triumph with the Bonneville series.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE ]

Don't forget the 1979 CB 650

[

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Closest I've seen to a retro CB750 was this from Honda in 2007.

Here is the CB350Four I sold last year just before buying the NT. Smooth........no vibes. Love the old Honda look, SOHC engine, spokes wheels, 4 visible carbs
[/IMG]

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I would have come out to Washington to buy that bike. It's a thing of beauty!!
Thanks. I have to chuckle when someone comments on the attention the NT gets. Really not a fair fight compared to this. I admit, I'll run like a lunatic yelling "STOP!" to see someones 1969-1973 CB750 that looks original. We all have our weak, out of control, moments.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Every once in a while, I'll take my wife's 1981 Hondamatic 400 out for a spin, just to get my "vintage bike" cravings out. It's therapy for the soul! :rolleyes1: Look Ma, no clutch!

Still lovin my new NT700.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The CB350 is gorgeous. I'd probably never buy one, but I'd go clear across town ( :smile: -- all 2 miles of "across town") to see one.

elizilla

There was a CB350 Four in my garage for a while. Cosmetically perfect, like a new bike. Never saw it run, don't know what the mechanical status was. It was here for a year.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
My first street bike was a Honda CB 550K. Loved that bike, cut my teeth on 4 stroke bike mechanics on that bike. Loved it, took it Milwaukee to Orlando two summers in a row!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I saw recently in a motorcycle magazine from England that Honda has been testing a 1000ish cc retro UJM across the pond.
Retro could be a new market nitch ala Ural and Enfield and Triumph. And without all the gee gaws, they are cheep to make.
(Bob, I toured on a 350 like that in the 70s....Illinois to Colorado....)

Had a 72 CB450....Till I got rear-ended and totaled it. Replaced it with an 83 shadow 750. Didn't really like the seating position on that, but kept it until Honda came out with the 91 CB750 Nighthawk. I decided I liked the 'sitting straight up' style of my old 450 and when I saw the 91 Nighthawk, I said that's what I want - and bought it (S/N 527). 20 years later, I now have the NT700.

I like the NT and its pretty compact size. Has to tuck in the corner of my 2 1/2 car garage.
I had thought about the ST1100,1300 and the FJR, but dollars and room are always at a premium. I love having attached luggage and fuel injection. Don't miss fooling around with 4 carbs at all, but do I think the vintage look would be good? Sure! If I hadn't met the NT, and Honda came out with a fuel injected 'standard', I certainly would be looking.

As you say it works for Triumph. I would most certainly be interested in such a bike as I think would be many. My personal favorite might be the GL1000. Bare bones version mind you. With lots of interesting options. A small version of the the Wing with options a la carte.

ccRider246

I had a CB350. I can't remember the year - either '71 or '72 probably. It was when the only color options here were gold and red. I rode it till about '78. I have an '81 750 F that I am still trying to sell.

Top Bottom