Virginia to Georgia and back - 1755 miles

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Folks,

I hadn't seen my only first cousin, who lives west of Savannah, Georgia, in about 30 years, so I decided to take a week off and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from beginning (Virginia) to the end (North Carolina) and then continue down into Georgia. It was very pleasant in the mountains, but really hot in the lowlands, 90-100 degrees each day. I camped out each night.

IMG_20220612_165742738_HDR.jpg

I packed my tent and cot into the top dry bag, and all my clothes, laptop, towel, etc. into the bottom dry bag and strapped it to the back with Roc straps. My Chase Harper tank bag came in really handy. I stored my maps in the top map pocket (I don't use GPS).

IMG_20220614_090544333_HDR.jpg

I made it to the highest elevation on the Parkway the second day. It was cloudy and deserted... a great day of riding!

EXCEPT, when I was going through one of the many tunnels, and two kids on superbikes passed me IN THE TUNNEL. Those tunnels are difficult to navigate because you come out of the bright sun into darkness, and the road surface is soaking wet. If I had moved an inch to the left when I heard them downshifting I wouldn't be writing this post.

IMG_20220614_181234086_HDR.jpg

I camped out in Hamburg State Park in Georgia the third night. Very quiet and very pleasant. The lake is beautiful and the shower was really appreciated! I was pretty ripe by this third night, riding in 99 degree heat most of the day.

IMG_20220615_122828988_HDR.jpg

A side road in Georgia. That's a clay surface, and very slick. Slow going if you are brave enough.

IMG_20220617_121748634_HDR.jpg

I was relaxing outside this general store in Georgia when the Mayor of the town came over and we chatted for a good hour. He rides a Harley (seems like I saw nothing but Harleys in Georgia). It was still 99 outside and I was drinking a Gatorade every hour. I realized that night that I hadn't pee'd all day!

IMG_20220618_080823217_HDR.jpg

I camped along the Chattahoochee River in Georgia on the way back. Really pretty river and a perfect kyaking location.

IMG_20220619_104259739_HDR.jpg

Ahhh... back in the mountains. I camped at Doughton Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway the night before and it was 48 degrees in the morning. Quite a change from the heat in Georgia!

I made it back to Virginia and home that day, having done a total of 1755 miles. The NT ran and rode beautifully. I really love this bike. It is comfortable, has plenty of power, and handles the curves blissfully.

But "Missy" is now is due for a major service at 40K miles. I checked the valves and they are fine, but the front fork started to leak so I'll get in there and rebuild it. The air filter looked really black, so it is also being replaced, as are the plugs which looked fine but I'm going to replace anyway.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sounds like a great ride, Harry, even if it was hot. When you add that heat to the humidity in Georgia, it's really tough to stay hydrated. You pictures were excellent and it sounds like you've had a memorable trip. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed your ride. I love the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've ridden it once a year for 26 years now from beginning to end and back, the last 4 years with my son along on his bike.

One hint on the tunnels....a trick I learned in the Army for night flares.....as soon as you see the sign for tunnel ahead, close one eye. You will be amazed at how much night vision you will acquire in you few seconds making the tunnel much brighter inside.

Maybe I'll see you on the parkway some time.

Cliff

Thanks for the post and the pics! That's a wish for me one day, that ride. My son is hiking the first 30 miles right now, from the southern end, so this was so timely.

BTW......I like the look of the gray (silver?) trim. What did you paint it with?

Cliff

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Cliff... there is no grey/silver trim, but maybe your are referring to the black painted muffler, which the previous owner painted, and it appears to have been professionally done. I think it looks really sharp!

If you are referring to the grey plastic trim pieces, that's just from old age. Just put your bike in the sun for a few months, and it will come out the same ;-).

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
tsk...tsk.tsk.. Harry. Gray?? Sun faded!!??... we connoisseurs of fine, vintage motorcycles refer to that as "patina"... don't you know nuffin?
:thumb:
Mike

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Sounds like a good time. I was on the Parkway last week. People won't know what to do if they keep seeing NT's :D
I was stopped at the overlook at Buena Vista (near route 60 in Virginia) and a camper rode in and stopped. The guy driving was really excited, and came over saying "IS THAT AN NT"? I said "You bet"! He said that he'd been looking at one for sale in New Hampshire, where he lives, and that he was wondering how I liked it. I told him all about the bike and how much I loved it. He said that he was going to buy the NT. He just loves the size, power, shaft drive, etc. All the attributes we love. Another convert!

Then this weekend, I rode with a buddy of mine who has a new Honda CBR1000RR. His first bike. Arggg.... 189 HP. I had told him to start with something with about 50 HP, but he didn't listen. Just had to have the most powerful bike he could find. We rode a hundred miles of sublime curves, him lagging far behind, and when we stopped he said "how the heck????". I just smiled.

Top Bottom