Virtually useless farkle

Rich

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've been beta-testing this for a few weeks. The company just publicly announced it. For fun I mounted it on my NT.

Attachments

• Ultimate_Farkle.jpg
    Ultimate_Farkle.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 127
I have a old fish finder if you want to mount it. It will show speed, water temp, and depth. Kinda handy in the rain.

I'm assuming it doesn't show speed unless you've also farkled up a pitot/static system. Does it show altitude?

I'm assuming it doesn't show speed unless you've also farkled up a pitot/static system. Does it show altitude?

Altitude, speed, vertical speed, and such are GPS-derived. The GPS is built-in. Attitude is from accelerators and solid-state gyros. It's a Primary Flight Display intended for use as a hot backup.

I just read about it on Flying Magazine's blog. It sounds like an amazing gadget. Have you flown with it yet?

I just read about it on Flying Magazine's blog. It sounds like an amazing gadget. Have you flown with it yet?

This kind of thing is sort of old hat these days in aviation. What's different here is Dynon has squeezed it into this really tiny box. The battery lasts a good 8 hours between charges. As it happens, my airplane was the inspiration. My former partner in the plane is head of marketing for Dynon. There is a spare instrument mounting point in my plane just looking for something to do. It's an ideal location for a backup attitude indicator. So his company went and incorporated an entire backup situational display in this little box. This company is widely known in the Experimental and Light Sport Aircraft markets for Electronic Flight Information Systems, autopilots, and all manner of related cool things. And local to us.

I've flown with it. Early on it had some glitches, but a rework of hardware and software has it solid now. Plus it'll let you know what your real bank angle is on your NT. Something I know we're all dying to know:confused:

it'll let you know what your real bank angle is on your NT. Something I know we're all dying to know

Hmmm.... well, maybe. It might be that knowing would disillusion many of us about the true nature of our cornering prowess.

I've got an old Concours-riding friend who's building a Cozy IV and he's putting a Dynon panel in it, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom