Voltage question

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Last night as I was coming from Evanston to Provo, I noticed my voltage was running between 14.4 and 14.5. I don't think I've seen much above 14.2 before. Do I have a problem?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't have a service manual anymore but I believe that is still in the normal range (barely). Since it is different than you have seen I would watch it for more changes but not be overly concerned.
Wonder if the high temps you have been riding in affected something a little bit? Possibly the voltmeter itself?

Brad

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Phil I believe up to 14.7 is considered ”normal” for modern regulator/rectifiers.

In the old type regulator/rectifiers a higher voltage was indicative of a bad earth as the earth/ground was used as a “reference” and a bad earth/ground therefore increased the voltage.

Enjoy your travels, I am riding along with you when I read your daily ride reports.

Seagrass

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Last night as I was coming from Evanston to Provo, I noticed my voltage was running between 14.4 and 14.5. I don't think I've seen much above 14.2 before. Do I have a problem?
It is not an issue as long as it does not reach or go about 15 VDC.

I am thinking that you were not running as many accessories at the time you noticed this voltage level? Please confirm the conditions regard accessories if you are on a long stretch of highway cruising.

There is the possibility. If you have been cruising for a long stretch, odds are that the battery got a chance to top itself off and had a minor reserve.

I would not sweat it...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
As far as your voltage, it's OK. Your problem on the other hand, is another story..... I'm just sayin' .....

:rofl1:

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What type/brand of voltmeter are you using?

I have no idea. It was on the bike when I bought it from Frosty. It's one of the little plastic gizzies with red digital numbers.

As far as your voltage, it's OK. Your problem on the other hand, is another story..... I'm just sayin' .....

:rofl1:

Mike
At least you keep me from being the only one on here with deep-seated personal psychological and intellectual problems. :nanner1:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have no idea. It was on the bike when I bought it from Frosty. It's one of the little plastic gizzies with red digital numbers.

At least you keep me from being the only one on here with deep-seated personal psychological and intellectual problems. :nanner1:
Glad I could help...

Mike

Top Bottom