VW core brand is "no longer competitive".

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Germany has lots and lots of regulations making it difficult build something on the cheap.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I read that earlier today and quite frankly, I'm not surprised. The German automotive industry has a very high labor cost as well as low productivity per vehicle produced. German industry in general operates somewhat differently that most other countries. The German labor union is a collaborative partner in the day to day operations of the business. The labor union also maintains voting seats on the board of directors as do many of their major vendors. This philosophy while resulting in good manufacturer/employee/vendor relations is not conducive to competitive pricing vis a vis their non-German competitors. It will be interesting to see how they go about resolving this problem.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
If one was to remove the VW emblem from their cars, one would not be able to tell the differences from any other manufacture today. All the Cars (Suv's) look the same. In years past the VW brand was very recognizable. Their cars had flair and a very different approach to what an automobile was to be. Today not so much. For that matter all cars look the same. Take the emblems off and no one could tell which manufacturer made the vehicle. And all the unnecessary so called Gov't safety regulations have not helped either. Before long all cars are going to look like eggs. They are all well on their way to that end..

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Germany has lots and lots of regulations making it difficult build something on the cheap.
Rather massive lobbying behind...
The whole EC parliament is completely infiltrated...

The company had previously said it planned to take advantage of the “demographic curve” to reduce its workforce.
The default "reaction" whilst chief executives "reward" themself (and shareholders) with salary increases, astronomical bonuses and profits en mass...
Making their products continuously larger, more complex, heavier, more powerful (instead lowering fuel consumption) and of course a lot more expensive was their all time strategy...
Where is the simple, affordable car for the urban dweller the brand Volkswagen is supposed to represent? (the Lupo 3L simply got killed internally over greed, cause small, affordable cars mean lower margins...)
Can't see much "innovation" in a large, two ton Amarok or Tuareg...

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Kind of sad actually, they made some cool hot hatches like the GTI that were a blast to drive. Now it's all blandtastic SUVs.

I don't think much of the driving public really cares about the fun-to-drive quotient in a vehicle anymore, at least not in the US. Haven't people got souls anymore? And I don't mean Kia Souls.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Hey Chucksklrst- you sound like my dad back in the 80’s and 90’s when aerodynamics were first designed. “They all look like jellybeans,”he said. LOL

Being a car nut myself, I can pick out brands of oncoming cars / trucks when I’m riding 8 or 9 times out of 10. Across the interstate. At 70 mph. I don’t miss many. Most brands tend to have a common theme, ie Lexus grills, etc.

Aerodynamic, yeah, but no, I don’t think they all look alike. Just my 2cents.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hey Chucksklrst- you sound like my dad back in the 80’s and 90’s when aerodynamics were first designed. “They all look like jellybeans,”he said. LOL

Being a car nut myself, I can pick out brands of oncoming cars / trucks when I’m riding 8 or 9 times out of 10. Across the interstate. At 70 mph. I don’t miss many. Most brands tend to have a common theme, ie Lexus grills, etc.

Aerodynamic, yeah, but no, I don’t think they all look alike. Just my 2cents.
+1 I like today's styling.. some better than others.

Loved the muscle car era however... if I needed a car and they still made those well, I'd probably pass and get something more modern, safe, quiet and just overall better... However, they'd be a fun 2nd car.

As for the fun factor... Mazda still goes there w/Miata and even the CX-5 is a fun car to drive, probably because it drives like a BMW lol

I've never been tempted to get a VW... the GTI Would be the only one I would even consider but didn't like the look.

Oh well, it's good to have choices and there aer still a ton of them out there.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
There still is a considerable difference in appearance between "cars", but the SUV segment is what I believe Chuck is referring to. To me, they are all very similar in size and appearance. Amen on the Miata fun factor.... that little car is a hoot to drive..... brings a smile to my face evrytime I drive it.

Mike

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The hand writing was on the wall when VW partnered with Fiatsyler in 2009 to sell the Chrysler minivan as the Routan. VW totally misread the market and then partnered with a company known for issues to try and catch up. Then they priced the Routan higher than the Fiatysler versions it was based on while having less content.:oops: Not a great marketing plan to say the least. That plan failed and the Routan was discontinued early. IMNSHO some companies do need to go away, or at least be rebooted, and VW is in that category. I'll be watching for a fire sale on Porsche.;)

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
There still is a considerable difference in appearance between "cars", but the SUV segment is what I believe Chuck is referring to. To me, they are all very similar in size and appearance.
SUVs, they all look so boooorrrriiiinnggg. Yawn! Great if you're an insomniac, and need some sleep :rofl1:

If you drive an actual car nowadays, you kind of stand out. I'm happy to be someone who still does.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The hand writing was on the wall when VW partnered with Fiatsyler in 2009 to sell the Chrysler minivan as the Routan. I'll be watching for a fire sale on Porsche.;)
The most memorable part about the Routan, were the TV ads with Brooke Shields. The actual van itself was forgettable.

Porsche? I'll take a 911 GT3, manual, Shark Blue please!

Bike
2010 NT700V
My first new car was a 1966 VW Beetle. $2002.06. On the hiway, you pushed it to the floor. It was self governing. :D Fun to drive.
Second new car was a 1969 SAAB 96. Sold it with 100,000 miles on it. Replaced it with a 1974 SAAB 99. SOLID cars. Felt like they were made from a single piece of metal. Then GM got ahold of SAAB. Down the toilet. Next was a 1980 Chevy Citation. Cured me of GM!!!
I now have a 2023 Ford Maverick hybrid. I did keep my 2017 RAV4. I'm not TOTALLY nuts!

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I now have a 2023 Ford Maverick hybrid.
I'm starting to see more Mavericks around, in a world where so-called "full size" pickups are the size of a school bus, it's so cool to see a practical small truck again, and the price is right. You mean you don't have to sell your house to own a truck? Who would have thunk!

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm starting to see more Mavericks around, in a world where so-called "full size" pickups are the size of a school bus, it's so cool to see a practical small truck again, and the price is right. You mean you don't have to sell your house to own a truck? Who would have thunk!
I got the Lariat Luxury package, 500A, both CP 360's, 2.5 hybrid. Just about everything except the sunroof and bed liner. Total was right at $36,000. Didn't cost me a thing. My son and daughter each kicked in $18,000. They just don't know it yet. They'll find out when the will is read!!!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I got the Lariat Luxury package, 500A, both CP 360's, 2.5 hybrid. Just about everything except the sunroof and bed liner. Total was right at $36,000. Didn't cost me a thing. My son and daughter each kicked in $18,000. They just don't know it yet. They'll find out when the will is read!!!
You dog :thumb:

Mike

Top Bottom