Waterfalls, Gorges and Old Towns, oh my ! Part I

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
It was adventure time again and this time I chose to head up toward Watkins Glen, NY on a tour that reflects the title. It was a back roads tour except for the first 80 miles of U.S. 50 (Expressway) from Parkersburg WV to Clarksburg WV. Once at Clarksburg/Bridgeport, U.S. 50 becomes two lanes. We followed U.S. 50 over to Red House Maryland where we got on U.S. 219 and rode into Oakland MD, then turned onto SR 135 to SR 495 to New Germany Rd and Chestnut Ridge Rd. which lead us back onto U.S.219 at the intersection of I-68.

We followed U.S.219 till it turned to expressway near Myersdale PA where we took old 219 and enjoyed lunch at the G.I. Dayroom Coffee Shop. I knew about this place from a 150 mile bicycle trip I did last fall on the Great Allegheny Passage trail that goes right through Myersdale. If you are near there stop in for a great meal. Note they close at 2pm.

We followed 219 till we got to Berlin, PA where we picked up SR 160 and followed it all the way to U.S.30 where we took a quick westward detour over to the Flight 93 Memorial to pay our respects. We found this purple barn along U.S. 160.

After leaving the memorial we made our way to a campground close to Bedford, PA. They still use an old Inn and Tavern as the office, store, game room. The Inn was built in 1772 and was used as a stage stop on the Forbes Trail.

The next morning we took a 10 minute detour to drive over a covered bridge on our way to Old Bedford Village.

We then stopped by The Coffee Pot. Not for coffee but just to see this restored historic building.

Then over another that lead into the Old Bedford Village where we went back in time for a short time.

Our trip continued after a couple hours at the old village. We followed Old 220 till we picked up SR 144 near Milesburg, PA and followed 144 for 90 miles to Galeton, PA. This is a fantastic road and very highly recommended for all motorcyclists.

We continued up U.S. 6 east for a few miles and hit 287 which turns into 115 as you cross into NY. We followed those routes into Corning and then took 414 on into the campground at Watkins Glen State Park.

Link to Day 1 photos: http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/djphotos2/library/Water Falls Gorges and Old towns Tour/Days 1

Link to Day 2 photos: http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/djphotos2/library/Water Falls Gorges and Old towns Tour/Days 2

That was the end of day 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom