weak rear brake

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The rear brake (non-ABS) sure seems weak on my NT. I have bled system and dealer saw nothing wrong at first service. I would like them to be stronger. I realize these are linked brakes and it is the first I have every had or worked on.
Anybody change to different pads or something that may help?

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
My rear brake on my Red(non ABS) seems weaker than my drum rear brake on my old Shadow Aero. It doesn't concern me since I'm mostly a front brake guy and the front dual disks are way, way better than my old single disk system on the Aero. Besides, I'd rather now not lock up the rear.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The rear brake on my bike felt very "wooden" (no feel) when the bike was new. I cleaned the disc with brake cleaner
and a non-metallic, kitchen scouring pad and it made a world of difference. They typically spray the metallic
surfaces with a rust preventative oil before the bike is put into the crate at the end of the assembly line.

bish79

Hmm. My Red NT has the best rear brake I've ever felt on a bike EVER. Its so good that in many situations I find myself using only the rear brake (with the 20% that is directed towards the front brake, thanks Honda!). I don't know but it sounds like something might be wrong with yours.

silverdevil

I know that these are linked brakes when you hit the pedal but if you did not know it the front brake does much better by itself on any bike. just don't use the front in slick conditions but if the road surface is good all you need it the front. as long as good road conditions you should not use rear/pedal only as it is not as good as front only.
don't believe me, just use front only then do it again on the same spot and just use rear only, which one stopped you better?

CoolNT

I think a good & safe practice is to use both front brake lever and rear (right foot) brake habitually.

silverdevil

again take a brake test
1. always use the same spot and the same speed, 1st time use just the front brake, 2nd time just use the rear brake, and the 3rd time use both brakes.
there will be very little difference between the front brake only and the using of both brakes.
rear brake only does the least amount of good by far, and is easy to lock up the rear wheel if you push hard.
now because this bike has linked brakes only when you use the rear brake it will stop you better but still not as good as the front brake only.
of course if you always want to use both do it.
when conditions are bad and slippery use very little front brake, like on dirt roads I use back only.
if the front locks you are down, if the rear locks you can recover.

elizilla

Silverdevil, I don't think anyone here is arguing that you should use only the rear brake, or that you shouldn't use the front.

bish79

Seems that I started riots by stating that I use the rear brake only in most situations. Perhaps some 'splainin is in order.

First off, the rear brakes are typically so bad on motorcycles that they are all but useless and as a result I had been "lazy" and had hardly ever used the rear brakes for way too long. I KNOW that you are taught and told to use both, 70% front 30% rear. But over time bad habits can take hold, and I KNEW it was a bad habit. So with the combined brakes on the NT I have found that to break that bad brake habit that I try to use the rear brakes all the time, and if I am just slowing down a little bit for a turn or something where there is no threat of danger (i.e. no cars that may pull out in front of me) I will cover the front brake but not use it. I also use this technique religiously in the rain.

OP
OP
ARKNT
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Looks like I started a good discussion of how to use the brakes. I use both brakes and will continue to stay in the habit so if an emergency stop is needed (it happens), the habits and reflexes take over and help me through it.
My rear brake feels weaker than it should. It may not be impossible to lock the rear up, but you have to make quite an effort to do so. I will relook at it and clean the disk and pads and see where that leads me. I told the dealer to look it over on first service, but I really don't think they did much, probably verified the pedal was solid and did not need bleeding.

OP
OP
ARKNT
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I spent some time in the garage today rechecking the rear brakes. Cleaned the pads and rotors with brakeclean. Then went into the process of getting any air out of the lines. I noticed the shop manual states you may have to go back and forth between the front and rear caliper several times to bleed it properly so I believe they may not purge out as easy as some others. Bled both ends several times, but did not notice any air bleeding out. Test ride confirmed no difference.

I did a little research on proportional control valves which allow the front and rear to be linked. Full pressure is always sent to the front caliper. The rear caliper pressure should increase normally at first, then it reaches a point that the proportional part takes over and as the pedal is pushed harder the pressure increases at a much reduced rate. This is probably the reason the rear brake feels like it does.
I would probably feel better if I could lock up the rear end when I try hard. In a real emergency stop I believe this system will work quite well. As the weight shifts to the front wheel the rear end is unloaded and will skid easily. Hope I don't have to test it out in a real emergency.
ARKNT

Top Bottom