what do I do now?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
A tire broke its bead on my back up lawn tractor. I have no idea how to get the bead even close to the rim. Do I buy a tube? Go to Les Scwab? Go to John Derre dealer?
IMG_20230514_180549098_copy_600x450.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you have a real compressor, not a cigar lighter powered portable. Remove the valve stem for max airflow, then loosely stuff a trash bag in the opening and try adding air. If the tire inflates you can trim away the excess bag with a razor blade. The ratchet strap method is the best, if it works. The starting fluid method works well at times too. If worse comes to worse, take it to a tire shop and for a few bucks they will fix you up.

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
If you have a real compressor, not a cigar lighter powered portable. Remove the valve stem for max airflow, then loosely stuff a trash bag in the opening and try adding air. If the tire inflates you can trim away the excess bag with a razor blade. The ratchet strap method is the best, if it works. The starting fluid method works well at times too. If worse comes to worse, take it to a tire shop and for a few bucks they will fix you up.

Mike
The trashbag idea has some merit but this tire is stiff. I have a real 120PSI air compressor but right now I am gonna try a tire shop and a Deere dealer.....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Put a tiedown strap around the perimeter of the tire to force the tire bead closer to the rim.
For some reason....the bead is way too far away from the rim and pressing the tire doesnt help......

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
I had the same issue with motorcycle tires that had been stored flat. I bought a trigger operated chuck to maximize airflow. (Removing the pin from a regular chuck didn't seem to work.)
High CFM is the key.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, took it to Les Schwab. They had it sealed in 3 minutes but there was quite a leak on the sidewall. They said they could try patching it but they thought it might need a tube. They called me two hours later and they had to put a tube in it. $28 bucks which is fair as tubes are no longer cheep. We are long term customers. Gonna load it with Slime and reslime my other tires also. I have used slime for 13 years and even though it is only supposed to worrk for two, many times I have seen the green crap oozing from holes from the thorny plants.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yep! Those riding lawnmower tires are the worst. I’ve always been able to seat them by using a ratchet strap and LOTS of air.
Changing a tractor tire (like a 14.9X28) is actually easier.

Same here, had 15 yr old riding mower tires that were cracking in sidewall, put a bunch of slime in them and never looked back. Not worth the effort.

Top Bottom