What do you carry on long rides that no one else seems to carry

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I carry stuff I find other don't. Besides the Obvious tools,fuses, extra light bulbs, tire kit, spare cables.

I carry SS muffler straps, I've not seen anyone else with. A roll of clear (it is really not) duct tape. I also take windshield clearer.

Bob

extra ear plugs and a baseball cap with one of those clip on flashlights

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Riding a 30 yr old bike I carry a lot of tools and spare parts. Half of one of my ammo can panniers is loaded that way all the time. Things like spare clutch and throttle cables, spare inner tubes, tire changing tools, Slime, air pump, etc. Spark plugs (I do have a Guzzi and they can be broken if bike falls over). I also carry those stainless steel zip ties. They are great for a lot of stuff. A few hose clamps in different sizes. Along with a batch of plastic zip ties. Rubber (nitrile) gloves. I always keep a few of those. They work for riding in rain under my leather gloves as well as for when the bike breaks and I have to work on it. Flashlight.

FWIW, the flashlight is good enough that it can be used as an emergency headlight on the bike. Just tape it to the bars or fairing.

I carry that stuff ALL the time. For trips I carry some extra things :)

Sunscreen. Wide brim hat. Water (at least a quart). Small first aid kit.

If going out in the boonies I also carry ~50' length of good high strength rope.

PS I use the tools on the bike for all my maintenance. That way I know I have what I need on the road. Even when I pulled the jugs on the engine I used my on board tools. The only one I don't carry all the time is a torque wrench :)

MAC

I carrie about 20 ft of dry-line Masons use for laying block along with 6 cloths-pins. This line is very strong and you can always find two spots to tie it. A cloths-pin works great at the top of a curtian that won't close tight to stop the parking lot light from shining in while trying to sleep.

I also carrie Bike Master compact cloth towelettes, it is a bag of 50 and comes with a tube that holds 10 at a time. The towels expand to 9" X 10" when activated by water and are reusable. I get them from White Horse Gear in NH, ( $ 6.95 )

Most important, toilet paper. Most stores have a trial size section, you know soap, shave cream, shampo etc this is where I get TP, it comes in a small plastic container and doesn't take up much room, BUT is very handy if needed along the way.

I carrie TP and the towelettes on the bike all the time, one never knows. ;-)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I wear my RoadID on longer trips. It's got a link to all my medical info. I've also got MedJet Elite.

At my age, I don't want to not have medical evacuation insurance. :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Extra ammo.... I carry a small Canon SX-150 digital camera that stays with the bike along with spare AA batteries for it and my my AA Maglite. Having a camera that uses AA batteries instead of a re-chargeable battery is simpler on a bike, I can't forget to charge it before I leave and AA batteries are available almost anywhere...

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I am either naive or supremely confident in my bike...I carry a flat repair kit, a compressor, rain gear, wipes, flashlight and multi-tool.
Thats it
Anything else can be dealt with by iphone and VISA

I've got very simple set of bandaids, sunscreen, extra ear plugs, baseball cap, window cleaner, flashlight, a camera, now that I have hearing aids, a couple of sets of batteries, a small bottle of Alleve and Benadryl--that's in the tank bag. In about half of one of the smaller bags for the paniers, I've got zip ties, a leatherman like knife tool, battery jumper cables, a flat repair kit, a thin 'paradox' shirt in case I'm cold, and a pair of thick gloves. I think that's it.

Terry

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I am either naive or supremely confident in my bike...I carry a flat repair kit, a compressor, rain gear, wipes, flashlight and multi-tool.
Thats it
That's about all I carried when I had the NT. :)

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Thats it
Pretty much the same for me. If I carried something for every possible contingency I'd have to haul a full set of tools and an entire bike's worth of spare parts in some kind of humongous trailer. Heck, the raingear alone eats up most of a pannier on any bike you'd care to name.

slider

Thats it
That's me minus the flashlight. The one on the phone is perfect.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
"Pretty much the same for me. If I carried something for every possible contingency I'd have to haul a full set of tools and an entire bike's worth of spare parts in some kind of humongous trailer. Heck, the raingear alone eats up most of a pannier on any bike you'd care to name. "

My rain gear fits in my tank bag, along with an extra helmet visor, first aid kit, drugs, etc :)

Tools and spare parts only take up HALF of my right pannier :)

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I think Flashlight, is part of your tool kit (I carry 2), riding gear (including ear plugs, rain gear, extra eye glasses) are a must. On a bike as new as a NT I still carry clutch and throttle cables, (I now carry an extra shift shift pivot bolt).

slider

If you have a smartphone the swiss army knife or smart tools app has an awesome flashlight, mirror, compass, flashing yellow, strobe, level and many other things on them.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I wouldn't share this anywhere else, but there is one more thing that is always on my bike...
Somewhere on my bike I keep two $100 bills at all times for unforeseen contingencies
You never know...

Last edited:
Top Bottom