What do you think?

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I'm serious thinking of getting a Rich's custom seat. Should I get it in vinyl or leather?
Thanks, Clint

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
When I asked Rich he told me to go with leather, and with minimal care has lasted for 25,000 miles of travel between Louisiana and Washington, not to mention local riding in a state with the highest rainfall in the USA. Besides rain I've ridden through snow, sleet and last summer, a wicked hail storm just outside Butte. My experience is that if you use Lexol leather cleaner 2 or 3 times per year and their leather conditioner at least once a year your seat will last longer than a vinyl one.

And instead of getting harder with use and weather, it will continue to soften, will be more comfortable and will not get as hot when left in the sun. I was still reluctant to go for the leather until he noted that no one would wear plastic shoes if he could afford leather, and that cattle seem to deal with rain just fine.

There is no argument that leather looks better, and Rick carries a wide variety of types and colors not available in vinyl. Given the price of Rick's custom seats, (which is worth every penny in my opinion) if you can afford one in vinyl, the price difference for leather hardly seems a deal breaker.

I was afraid to go for leather, but now I would never buy a seat that wasn't.

Opinion offered for free and well worth the price.

Ken

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My Russel DayLongs have both been leather. I've had wear on both at the seam on the right side near the tank, but that had nothing to do with them being leather. I've got a Russel seat cover, but rarely use it when I'm riding. I had a vinyl Rick Meyers seat and didn't like either the vinyl or the seat.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My Sargent saddle has a marine grade vinyl cover. It is till in perfect condition after 8 years of everyday use. My NT is parked outside all year so the vinyl saddle sees sun, rain and extreme cold. Even with me sitting on it when it is frozen it has not cracked or split. Leather does take a little more care but I have also had leather saddles on motorcycles and they are fine as long as you take care of them.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Just made an appointment for November 6 at Rich's Custom Seats.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
I should clarify that I will be trailering it from Montana. Traveling over on Monday the 5th and staying at their apartment. Having the seat made and starting back on Tuesday the 6th. And arriving home on the 7th.

Top Bottom