What do you use to remove BUGS/BUG GUTS

kenstone

OK, I can wash and dry my NT in less than a hour (leaf blower:) )
But then spent another hour getting the bugs off the windshield/mirrors/headlight/front of the bike:(
I think Idaho bugs are the main ingredient in super glue.
We all have a shelf full of wonder chain lube from when we had chain bikes, now I'm building a shelf full of wonder bug cleaner and have yet to find the "best" one.
This may have been discussed before so a link would helpful too, as this could turn into a "what oil" type thread.
If you guys don't help I might be forced to hang around truck stops and ask the drivers there.
So share your BUG removal secrets and secret sauces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wet towels, paper towels or newspaper. Soak and lay on windshield. Keep it wet for 5-10min. Peel off (do not rub with the paper it scratches plastic). Then gently wipe off the residue. Check with your hand that everything came off. If not repeat. Final wipe and buff with a CLEAN dry cloth.

Before you use other products make sure it is ok for plastic. Some stuff made for car glass will harm lexan or plexiglass.

HOT WATER soaked into a soft microfiber towel and laid on buggy areas for 10 to 15 minuts if real bad add more HOT water and leave on a bit longer,

Eldon,

Retired trucker, although I never found a job that paid any more for a highly polished truck than one that ran the long miles!

I clean my windshield with Plexus. It cleans and polishes. Bugs remove easily if you give it another cleaning with Plexus soon after the ride. The hot water on a microfiber towel also works well if they are dried on.

All of the above sort of. Spray with a fine mist of water. Let sit for a few minutes. Then spray a fine mist of very dilute Simple Green on the windshield. Wipe off with a good quality paper towel or micro fiber cloth. Follow with Plexus.

All the above work well......have also used hydrogen peroxide in a spritzer.....eats the organic stuff and won't hurt anything......when away from the Retirement Home, I carry Pledge and use it for cleaning/polishing/coating everything from the windscreen and face shield to the bodywork......use with microfiber cloths.....bug innards and bird droppings often contain abrasive grit, so getting at them gently prevents scratching.....using Plexus also polishes out some of the tiny scratches that that lead to crazing in screens and shields....Pledge helps fill them and reduces the effect....also beads water so that raindrops blow off screens/shields easier.....

TW

I mostly use warm water and soap, but have used the hydrogen peroxide route.
Of course they are much easier to remove if you get them off before they dry on hard but most times that is not too practicle. I seem to be lucky anymore if I wash it at all.

Brad

I'll confess, I don't always get the bugs off right after a ride:redface:
Thanks for the replies so far, now I've got some new ways and stuff to try
Stuff I've bought/tried has been for painted surfaces as well as windshields and I haven't had any problems using it on the stock windshield...yet.
Ken

When riding I carry a micrfiber Rowland and a 2oz. spray bottle of water with 1/2oz or so of hydroden peroxide. The hot microfiber towel trick is good at home also. For a cleaner, Pledge. I carry the Pledge disposables with me but at home opt for spray can and m/f towels.

Back
Top Bottom