What to look for?

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
I saw this, he/his team makes great, hilarious videos and advice. As an aside, I just went a different route for my new helmet - 6D ATS-1R with ODS protection. To protect against rotational impact. More info here.

From the site:

6D’s ODS technology is designed with its shearable suspension system sandwiched between two EPS foam liners which are shaped more spherical, like a ball and socket. This superior design position allows for 6 degrees (6D) of free-motion displacement during an impact, regardless of your head shape, angle of impact, or how tight your helmet fits!

• ODS uncouples the outer surface of the helmet from the wearer’s head.
• The ODS system’s isolation dampers activate long before the EPS. This capability allows ODS to mitigate impact forces at varying impact velocities, from all impact angles, for both linear and angular acceleration
• ODS by its design has 6 degrees (6D) of free-motion displacement capability of the inner liner in relation to the outer liner and is less restricted by the shape of the human head.
• ODS is not compromised by the impact angle to the helmet’s outer surface. Simple shear-plane technologies are less effective as the impact angle moves closer to 90 degrees.

Last edited:

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Is that the same as the MPS system? It has been used on Bell helmets (under license) for many years now.

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Is that the same as the MPS system? It has been used on Bell helmets (under license) for many years now.
Not quite - I would guess 6D's OTS is better. MIPS requires a small plastic shell piece that slides but doesn't allow for additional impact protection, nor full head rotational impact since it's only the top portion of the helmet liner. 6D has a small blurb on their tech page in comparison to the MIPS standard.

MIPS: is a simplistic shear-plane mated to the helmet liner’s inner surface and is designed to improve the amount of slip that your head naturally has within the helmet. If your head cannot move within the helmet very far because it’s fit properly (snug), and the shape of the skull (as mentioned above) naturally constraining its movement, then these types of systems cannot do much work (unless you’re crushing the EPS liner in a high energy crash at the same time). Additionally, a shear-plane has no ability to mitigate linear accelerations.

6D is on the left here, MIPS is on the right. As you can see MIPS will rotate around in an impact, as will 6D... but 6D has the rubber spacers which can stretch/sheer in any direction for angular protection and also acts as a secondary buffer for any impact. With MIPS there is no space (buffer) nor anything to slow excessive rotational impact - the plastic liner in MIPS just breaks free and spins on it's own, as I understand it. And that's if there's any room in a snug helmet to break-free and move.

Edit: The difference here is that MIPS uses your head and the plastic liner for rotational impact - but heads can't really rotate much in helmets - hence the problem. With 6D the inner shell allows for rotational protection even if your noggin is strapped in tight.

1622556199671.png

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Aside, one might think this this makes 6D helmets larger, but not really. Some pics side-by-side vs. my old silver Scorpion EXO-500 helmet on the left. The flare-out on the back makes it look longer but it isn't. It's also carbon-fiber so that keeps the weight on-par with standard helmets.

Note: Fit is still the same, intermediate oval, very comfortable to wear around the house. Reportedly the extra space between the liners makes for phenomenal ventilation through it - should be good for hot months. I'll report on it after I get out on the road with it this weekend. Hopefully I'll never need to test out 6D OTS tech, but nice to know it's there just in case of an accident.

IMG_6145 - smaller.JPGIMG_6146 - smaller.JPGIMG_6147 - smaller.JPG

Top Bottom