2010 Silver NT700VAA
and what actually happens
[video]https://youtu.be/4QgSbgio23c[/video]

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Re: What we belive

I hope everybody on the Forum watches that! It's reality for most of us that we don't stop as fast as cars. We could, but most of us don't. Thanks for posting that, Karl.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

Braking is almost under rated tool for motorcycle riders. I see so many (mostly sport bike) riders too close in traffic. Nice find on this video. It is hard to keep a good distance in heavy traffic, 3 seconds is always an invitation for lane jumpers.

I am not sure what a expert rider is? I've never met one, they are in my opinion on MotoGP. For the average street rider, no matter how experienced I don't believe your a expert. Seasoned, yes, cautious, sure, maybe a little clairvoyant the longer you ride. This time of year for northern riders, videos like this, David Hough book in the bathroom. Time to again evaluate your riding level, and physical well-being.

Bike
2011 NT

Have had ABS on my last two bikes. When I was looking for an 1800 our local dealer had one with ABS. Took it for a ride and tested the brakes several time and I was

impressed with it. I watched the for sale on here for a 2011 model and one came up I bought it. Has been a good deal.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I talked to a guy who runs a riding school 10 miles away from me last week. He does the Basic Riders Course and the new Experienced Riders Course. I told him that I was interested in sharpening my slow speed skills and having someone ride with me and give me some on-road insight, something like Eric Trow's "Staying Safe" program. He's interested in doing that and might even manage to get me some track time. Other than reading safety columns in the moto-magazines and watching a few videos, it's been a long time since I've had any instruction.

I took the MSF Experienced Rider Course in 2002 and Rick (FalconAF) gave me some very valuable feedback as we rode the first leg of my Four Corners Tour on the Epic Ride. He noticed that I was not riding well on the very twisty section of US1 between Leggett and the coast and helped me figure out that I was not looking far enough down the road. I'd had a similar problem when I was learning to fly. When landing I was trying to watch the runway at my touchdown spot instead of looking ahead far enough to see the big picture. I'll be talking to Jason at Full Throttle Riding Academy when I get back on the bike after my knee surgery. We didn't talk price, but he sounded enthusiastic and extremely competent.

Last edited:
Bike
Bonneville T120
I talked to a guy who runs a riding school 10 miles away from me last week. He does the Basic Riders Course and the new Experienced Riders Course. I told him that I was interested in sharpening my slow speed skills and having someone ride with me and give me some on-road insight, something like Eric Trow's "Ride Safe" program. He's interested in doing that and might even manage to get me some track time. Other than reading safety columns in the moto-magazines and watching a few videos, it's been a long time since I've had any instruction.

I took the MSF Experienced Rider Course in 2002 and Rick (FalconAF) gave me some very valuable feedback as we rode the first leg of my Four Corners Tour on the Epic Ride. He noticed that I was not riding well on the very twisty section of US1 between Leggett and the coast and helped me figure out that I was not looking far enough down the road. I'd had a similar problem when I was learning to fly. When landing I was trying to watch the runway at my touchdown spot instead of looking ahead far enough to see the big picture. I'll be talking to Jason at Full Throttle Riding Academy when I get back on the bike after my knee surgery. We didn't talk price, but he sounded enthusiastic and extremely competent.
I did the Stayin' Safe program with Eric Trow last May. Bearbait51 (Rick) was in the same class. It was absolutely the best thing I ever did relative to riding a motorcycle. It made me a much better motorcycle rider as well as a better driver. We learned lots of techniques for the road as well as slow speed maneuvering in parking lots and the like. The class was small, two coaches and 6 students separated into two groups while riding. Side-of-the-road chalk talks were informative as were the initial "class room" introduction and the evening "lecture". The accommodations were fine and the food was good. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny. As Eric is located in the general vicinity of Pittsburgh, most of the on road classes are in the east.

My biggest improvement were in slow speed control of the motorcycle, on road safety strategies and risk management, and cornering skills. What do I need to go back for more tutoring? Trail braking and combined brake and throttle techniques. I'll go back, probably not his year however.

I give the program 5 stars, two thumbs up, excellent rating.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I did the Stayin' Safe program with Eric Trow last May. Bearbait51 (Rick) was in the same class. It was absolutely the best thing I ever did relative to riding a motorcycle. It made me a much better motorcycle rider as well as a better driver. We learned lots of techniques for the road as well as slow speed maneuvering in parking lots and the like. The class was small, two coaches and 6 students separated into two groups while riding. Side-of-the-road chalk talks were informative as were the initial "class room" introduction and the evening "lecture". The accommodations were fine and the food was good. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny. As Eric is located in the general vicinity of Pittsburgh, most of the on road classes are in the east.
That's the kind of training I want, Dan. But Eric's too far away from Greeley. I'm hoping Jason can do the same sort of thing for me here at home.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Great video, Karl. Thanks for sharing. I have also found that keeping the bike in the "sweet spot"--RPM 4500+ gives you another alternative--avoidance. This takes advantage of the bike's superior handling in some situations. I have never been too impressed with motorcycle brakes. The NT has good brakes (mine are non-ABS). The Yamaha XS650's brakes are a step above dragging one's feet.

Top Bottom