Wheel Weights, what do you use

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
At 6k miles I have no faith with the OEM front tire, bought new in May 2014. Ordering the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II tires on recommendation from several local ST riders. My question is where to order the wheel weights for these cast wheels?
Thanks,
Charlie

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
haven't you noticed the weights on the spine of rim? here is a pic of all 3 sizes. some you can see #, they are on the NT700V parts list of at least Partzilla.com . or you can use the 1/2 x 1/2 sticky lead weights

OP
OP
silshooter

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Woodaddict....thanks for the part numbers, will look at the Honda pricing. Will probably use stick on's. Noticed you had a TM 400, I spent some time racing the TM 125-250-400's in the mid 70's, did not like the 400's power curve. Really enjoyed a framer TM 250 flattracker, it was easy to ride.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
that bike was mean, mean. I had it while in high school, in Northeast Ohio, we had high school motocross club. raced my senior year in April, open class, 9 racers, came in 5th first moto, then 4th second moto, got the 4th place trophy. my Dad rode it, used too much gas, wheelie, then holding onto handlebar being drug until falling over......as I watched!! that bike, bought from a cousin who was dedicated motocross, had frame welded up, so I got good deal.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The Honda clip-on weights are very pricey!

I bought a pack of stick-on weights eons ago and I just keep recycling them. Clean off the adhesive, apply new foam tape, and you're in business. I was using new weights all the time then one Sunday when I was balancing a new tire and realized I had no new weights so looked in my tool box for old weights and have been doing that ever since. That was about 10 years ago.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I like the Honda weights. I bought a small assortment and can now just snap on whatever weight is needed to balance.
No cleaning off any glue goo.
Either the Honda or the stick ons work well.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[Evil was my evaluation of the 400. The SC 500 Yamaha was even worse.]

The saving grace for the SC500 Yamaha was that it was only made in small numbers where the TM400s were plentiful and enough to keep ERs crowded on Sunday.

I rode an SC500 once and at low engine speeds it felt like an 275 pound, anemic 125 then it would suddenly come alive. It was too heavy for serious racing even if you tamed the powerband but I had some friends who were hill climb screwballs and they loved the SC500.

Last edited:

elizilla

If you get your tires mounted and balanced at a shop, pay attention to the weights. Shops like to take your Honda clip on weights off and keep them, and put stick-ons on instead.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I really like the Motion Pro 1/4oz stick on weights. They don't scratch the rims like the clip-ons can and aren't difficult to remove and clean during wheel changes. You can get them in various colors to match your rims.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If you get your tires mounted and balanced at a shop, pay attention to the weights. Shops like to take your Honda clip on weights off and keep them, and put stick-ons on instead.
That's what mine did. Unfortunately I did not notice it until several weeks later.

Top Bottom