Who made this top box?

Bike
'10 NT700, '02 BMW 1150GS
When I bought the NT last year it came with an aftermarket top box. I am only now attempting to use it, and am having some trouble. My questions are:

(1) How do I employ the knob w/ threaded post and the circular plate? None of the configurations I've tried result in a secure mount.
(2). Who made it? There is no name, anywhere, not even the keys, and it does not look like pictures I've seen of the Honda one.

Maybe a part is missing.

T

Attachments

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
It would help to see the bottom of the case. Looks like it should lay flat on the carrier and slide forward to engage the four 'feet' on the carrier into slots on the bottom of the case and then the bolt/washer go done the hole and into the threaded part on the carrier. But without being able to see the bottom of the top box, it is hard to tell.

OP
OP
Tantalus
Bike
'10 NT700, '02 BMW 1150GS
It would help to see the bottom of the case. Looks like it should lay flat on the carrier and slide forward to engage the four 'feet' on the carrier into slots on the bottom of the case and then the bolt/washer go done the hole and into the threaded part on the carrier. But without being able to see the bottom of the top box, it is hard to tell.
A search for top boxes on Amazon solved the mystery. It is called (currently, anyway) a Comie. It only costs around $70, everything included, so not the best quality. I'll probably replace it, once again going with Givi.

This looks like the mount system for an Oxford top box. This definitely goes into the threaded bolt on the mounting plate. If you don't tighten the mounting plate evenly before putting the case onto it, it may flex, making the install of the box difficult, so be careful and play around a little with the setup. I actually installed an Oxford case on a 2005 Kawi Concours, and had to cut and drill out a home made shim using a bread cutting board I picked up at a second hand store. The board helped provide a solid/flat surface, gave me more mount options for screws, was inexpensive, and I painted it flat black to blend into everything. It works, but nothing compares to the rock solid GIVI mount for the NT and the variety of cases you can get for it. Here's an old pick showing the end result. Note: passenger couldn't lean on it as a backrest because it was too flimsy, but it held 2 full face helmets easily upon parking and because of my 'shim' mount, I was able to mount a solid backrest in front of the box for the passenger. Recent Pics of the Givi mount on the NT I now ride.

Attachments

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I made a cople of mounts to fit boxes that I had and ended up buying a GIVI mount made for the bike from a member here and use that till this day.

Top Bottom