Winter Tires?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I ride the same tires all year. I am not aware of any tires designed for winter riding. I assume you are refering to cold temperatures and not talking about riding in the snow.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If we have temperatures below 40F and get any precipitation this winter, then I'll go for the studded PR3s.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My PR3 are on there last runs, is there such a thing as a better winter tire?
I suspect that there is a better cold/wet weather tire amongst our choices, however which one it might be I have not a clue. Based upon the reviews I've read, the PR3 prbabaly rates right up there at the top. You would probably gett better info from the boyz in The UK forum since they are more apt to ride in inclement weather than we softies here in the states. That being said, I rode my NT all winter last year in temps down to 15 degrees with no issues on the OE Bridgestones. I did however keep Traveller parked whenever there was snowy or icy roads. I have since replaced the OE tires with Dunlops but have had no cold weather experience on them.

Mike

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Most tires go off at lower temps and provide less grip. Speed ratings are all about shedding heat the higher the rating the better the tire is at it. The lower range is better in colder weather... or you can slow down.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I rode all last winter as well. Being retired I did not need to get out untill the afternoon. We have a lot of black ice here in Maine, especially on the coast. I did not ride in slushy conditions or when there was a lot of salt on the road. Of course, last winter was a non-event.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Paradoxically, rainy roads here in the winter are normally more conducive to riding than "dry". That's because dry roads on a winter morning often means black- or white-ice potential from it being just cold enough to make ice appear out of thin air. If it's been raining the surface is more predictable.

The original tires were definitely more squirrelly in certain wet conditions than my current PR3's. The most common bellwether is how they feel in a turn going over some wide white road stripe. The stock tires could excite you even going over DRY stripes. But temperature extremes are not much of a factor around here. In general, I have found that tires get a bit less grippy once you're getting sound zero degrees F or lower, even on dry pavement. But I don't ride in those conditions any more.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I never worry about it. When it is that cold outside I am riding slower so tire doesn't matter to me. I suspect the PR3's I have now will be better than the stock tires and the Avon Storms I had on the bike last winter.

One of the Guzzi forum members rides in snow (Wisconsin). He uses cheap dual sport tires with block treads. He said they do well in snow. He also carries a baggie of sheet metal screws with him in case he gets caught having to ride on ice (he also races bikes on ice).

So, you can ride year round it you REALLY want to. :D

Top Bottom