Wooden Front Brakes

I’ve been searching old brake threads here since I really don’t like the feel of my front brakes. I have to squeeze way too hard in my opinion. Thinking of bleeding fluid and going to braided lines. Any other suggestions?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
One thing to keep is mind is that aftermarket pads do offer greater stopping power but at the expense of more rapid wear to the disc. There are no free rides in life!

When was the last time you changed the fluid and bled the brakes? I do it every winter because it costs almost nothing in brake fluid and greatly helps "feel" at the brake lever/pedal.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Last year, I helped a friend change the brake fluid and bleed the system on his '06 ST1300 and I believe it was the original fluid going by the very dark color. He called me about a hour after leaving my place because he was was so impressed that he had brakes again! :)

ps. brake performance degrades gradually and most people never realize that what they have is lousy. All they do is look at the plastic window on the reservoir and seeing fluid inside, they figure it's OK.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My guess is a fluid flush and bleed will help. I have not heard many complaints on the NT front brakes.
I always thought the rear brake was a little weak. I had flushed and bled but no change. I think it had a different "feel" to me because of the link to a front pad and how the bike felt with only the rear brake applied.

Brad

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I am not a fast rider. I use the rear brake on its own most of the time and only use the front for heavy braking or the last few metres at a red light (so I can put my right foot down). I also use the engine to assist slowing down. I have found the rear brake, on its own, to be "adequate" most of the time.

Macka

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I know that for the US market, Linked Brakes were only offered with ABS but not sure what the other countries received.

Bike
NT700va
As most of the aged riders here know, bikes did have wooden brakes - usually only the rear. I drove a 1916 Douglas with wooden shoe rear brakes once. The shoes braked against a separate wheel. Surprisingly, it stopped ok going at slow speeds. If you wish to jerk your BMW buds, ask them about the first year BMW made bikes. They bought Douglas engines. Following year they modified the engine and liked to claim they were the first.

Your fun fact from wacko election Texas

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Yes the non-ABS versions link the rear brake to a front piston. Mine was non-ABS.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm pretty sure that all the NT700s have linked brakes. I know that all the ones sold in the US had them linked, whether ABS or not.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
All the Australian models (2006-2009 and 2010-2012) had linked brakes. Linked the same as the US models, rear brake operates third caliper piston on front left of bike.

Seagrass

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
OK, I guess my memory failed me to which models had linked brakes in the USA. With old age brain farts become more common. :-(

What I was thinking of was that ABS was only offered on the 2010 silver bikes then the 2011 black bikes but never the red (maroon) ones.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
All the Australian models (2006-2009 and 2010-2012) had linked brakes. Linked the same as the US models, rear brake operates third caliper piston on front left of bike.

Seagrass
The same as my 2013 NC700X, which has linked ABS.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What I was thinking of was that ABS was only offered on the 2010 silver bikes then the 2011 black bikes but never the red (maroon) ones.
DirtFlier, you're right about ABS. It was offered on some 2010 silver bikes, but not all. There were some non-ABS silver bikes as well as the non-ABS red bikes. But all of the NTs had linked brakes, which didn't depend on ABS for their operation.

The ABS bikes have the decal on the front fender that says "Combined ABS," but the combined and ABS just sound fancier than saying only "ABS."

Top Bottom