Worth the cost?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I think so. I got to try mine out in an emergency maneuver and they worked amazingly well and quite possibly kept me upright. I was skeptical before that. I'm used to using my front/rear brakes to help with handling my mountain bike in off road technical riding in the dirt. So I think I understand how front/rear brakes work. I believe they have the ABS figured out well.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I haven't used the ABS on my new (two month old) FJR yet, but automotive ABS saved my butt once. A side effect of ABS is that it automatically gives you almost everything your need for traction control.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I went down hard at the end of March, I had to lock up the brakes to avoid a collision.
I like to think that I would have remained upright if I had ABS.

Bike
2011 NT
ABS was my top priority when I started looking for an NT. Found a low mileage 2011 and the rest is history. My 01 Wing had ABS so I did not want to go back to non ABS.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had close to 200,000 miles on three bikes without ABS and had never felt like I needed it. But I was sold by what I read about it in Motorcycle Consumer News and other cycling magazines as well as by experiencing the difference it made in my '99 Buick on snow and ice.

So, when I was ready for the NT, I decided I'd spring for the extra cash. I bought the bike in March and in August, while riding through Watertown, IA, after heavy rain had just stopped when a driver ran a red light. I know we're all supposed to sque-e-e-e-z-e the front brakes rather than grabbing them. But with the driver was approaching me still doing 30-40mph while I was doing 30-35mph, I guarantee that I grabbed rather than squeezed. I think I felt the ABS system pulse once or twice, but I stopped safely and surely and the driver was gone. I'm reasonably certain I would have T-boned her without the ABS.

Last summer, in Eddie's Cove, Newfoundland, I was doing the speed limit through town (only about 50kph or 31mph) when a woman pulled out of a grocery store right in front of me. She pulled out and I grabbed brakes and came to within a foot of her right rear fender. It was foggy and drizzling and she proceeded on down the road at about 20-25mph. I followed her to the next little village and she pulled into another grocery store. I followed her in and asked if I could talk to her. She said, "Here in the rain?" I told her what had happened and she was shocked. She hadn't looked, so she didn't see me. I told her that those of us on motorcycles were pretty vulnerable and she knew that because her husband rides. Again, I'm pretty sure that without the ABS, I'd have either gone down or hit her. IMNSHO, ABS is worth the money!

I would hope that ABS becomes 'standard' instead of optional on all bikes. I assume if that were ABS standard, the cost to the manufacturer would be considerably lower.

Terry

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I would hope that ABS becomes 'standard' instead of optional on all bikes.
I suspect it will effectively become "standard", on most models, due to Europe requiring it. But from the US marketing / pricing stand point the question is will it become part of the MSRP base price or still be a $1k+ "option"...that all the bikes just happen to have installed being sold here. Being a cynic I suspect we will see a lot of bikes with "Optional ABS" to keep the profit margin higher...at least until it is mandated by law here as well.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
But from the US marketing / pricing stand point the question is will it become part of the MSRP base price or still be a $1k+ "option"...that all the bikes just happen to have installed being sold here. Being a cynic I suspect we will see a lot of bikes with "Optional ABS" to keep the profit margin higher...at least until it is mandated by law here as well.
Good news. Honda's CB500X MSRP difference is only $500 for ABS. So that is better than a few years ago when ABS was more expensive.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I think the answer is:

What's your life worth?

I am willing to bet that none of us on this forum could stop as quickly and as safely, in any conditions, in an emergency on a non-ABS bike as we could on an ABS bike.

For me, there is nothing to consider. ABS every time.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I think the answer is:

What's your life worth?
I dont htink thats a fair question: Just because a person buys a vehicle without ABS doesnt mean they place no value on their own life, said Clay, who rides a red NT

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
I know that all abs systems are not created equal, I would be nice to establish testing that showed which mfg.'s system was more effective and in what situations. I think Hondas automotive system is better than Mazdas due to my own experience, consumers should be able to see this difference when car shopping.

Hondas combined braking on the NT is impressive. Best brakes on a bike without abs, in my opinion. Combined brakes and ABS seems to be very safe , but I don't know if the market will bear the extra cost of the system unless it is regulated as it is in our automotive market.

Its taken some time to adjust to non combined brakes on the yamaha FZ07. Its definitely not as sure footed as the NT in the braking department.

Top Bottom