XT touring impressions

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
First XT tour impressions.
While heat and smoke grips the west, there was a pocket of good weather in Montana and Wyoming, so I left Spokane, went to Three Forks, MT, Buffalo WY, then into the Big Horns to camp and then back home through Yellowstone. 6 days, 1500 odd miles.
The Farkles I chose worked out well. The Givi Airflow 2 windscreen, the 15L Givi tank bag, gas tank locking ring type, and the SW Motech drybag 350s all worked as advertised and better. I was expecting the tank bag locking system to be a PITA but it “sought” its mounting ring and locked very easily. The Suzuki crash bars gave no bad vibrations. To check this, I would set the NEP throttle lock and rest my booted feet , one at a time then both at once, on them to change their harmonics. I could tell no difference through the seat , bars or pegs. The Suzuki Panniers, while great for everyday riding, suffer from their odd interior shape and could be a bit bigger and I wonder if there is a way to “quick change” to another larger, albeit boxier, set of bags for touring.
The bike itself continues to amaze me. It cruises at 80 mph vibration free and like it is on a rail, and insensitive to winds. I never needed to adjust the chain the whole trip, but it was heavily lubed every day. I do have two nits to pick. The speedo reads 85 mph at a true GPS velocity of 80 mph. And while I am 6 ft. 2 inches with 34 in legs and 34 waist, the seat is really too tall to put a leg over it with the luggage on the bike (for an old man,) an Airhawk seat pad and sheep skin. I managed to mount it like I mount my NT 700…the kick and hop. I tried mounting the bike like getting on a horse and almost high sided it so no more of that. I am thinking of getting the lower seat to try for touring.
I still need to go on an equipment diet, but the down bag, small packing and expensive but comfortable Nemo cosmo 30” XL air mattress, and smaller tent have helped. Still, all the camping gear with the stove, food, headlamps, water, etc take up one of the Motech bags, and 25 lbs. I don’t think I can loose much there.
This bike was the right choice for me. I am sure Suzuki will put on Ride by wire and cruise some day but I doubt they will go to a fully enclosed chain or shaft drive.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Hell, with as much luggage as you carry, the seat (with luggage) is too tall for a Rockette to swing her leg over, let alone an old man. I 'spect a lot folks saw you and thought you wuz runnin' away from home with that load....

I'm just sayin'....

Mike

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Suzukis are known for built-in 10% speedometer error. My 2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 had it. You had to keep it in your mind all the time......if you wanted to go 60, aim for 66 on the speedo, 50 is 55, etc.

I was actually surprised that the Honda was accurate. I thought all bikes had the optimistic speedometers....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Nice report on the Suzuki. I have yet to take my Versys 1000LT on an over nighter or multi day ride. Headed out west on Friday to Oregon, Northern Washington, and California with some FJR buddies of mine. First will do WESTOC in Baker City Oregon. Then going to try and ride Highway 20 in Washington east to west. Would like to stop in but will not have the time this trip. I will be riding the FJR for this trip. When I get back home I have a week then head out for Arkansas with the Big Versys.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Then going to try and ride Highway 20 in Washington east to west.
You'll like that! It's a great ride! I've done it west to east -- before quite a few fires and a landslide in the last few years.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Nice report on the Suzuki. I have yet to take my Versys 1000LT on an over nighter or multi day ride. Headed out west on Friday to Oregon, Northern Washington, and California with some FJR buddies of mine. First will do WESTOC in Baker City Oregon. Then going to try and ride Highway 20 in Washington east to west. Would like to stop in but will not have the time this trip. I will be riding the FJR for this trip. When I get back home I have a week then head out for Arkansas with the Big Versys.
BE VERY WATCHFUL OF THE THREE LARGE FIRES AROUND TWISP.. Weather turning cloudy and cool and showery next week for the west side of the Cascades....I was thinking about taking my mostly annual one lap of WA next week but 20 could be closed at any time. I might just wait for Sept 7th when I go to the reno air races before touring....550 fires in Canada are making alot of smoke but the wind shifts back from the west tomarrow helping us greatly.
Keep an eye out for the Cresent fire at this website.. Zoom in and click on the fire for more info.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/#
Twisp is now an evacuation center.
I would post some pics on how bad things are but you can look at my facebook page. Tinypic website is down.
BC is under a state of emergency but with any luck the winds from the west tomarrow will keep smoke at bay.
Right now the PNW is hazardous but this will change tomarrow.
Windy.com is your friend as well as inciweb.nwcg.gov

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Suzukis are known for built-in 10% speedometer error. My 2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 had it. You had to keep it in your mind all the time......if you wanted to go 60, aim for 66 on the speedo, 50 is 55, etc.

I was actually surprised that the Honda was accurate. I thought all bikes had the optimistic speedometers....
Someday there would be no reason you couldnt hook up your smartfone to the vehicle computer and correct that, unless there is a legality. All my other bikes and cars read maybe 1-2 mph high.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hell, with as much luggage as you carry, the seat (with luggage) is too tall for a Rockette to swing her leg over, let alone an old man. I 'spect a lot folks saw you and thought you wuz runnin' away from home with that load....

I'm just sayin'....

Mike
You speak the truth. my camping bag is 25 pounds of tent, high tech air mattress and down bag, stove, food, camp chair, etc.
The other yellow bag carries clothes, a mesh jacket, etc. I am looking into bigger panniers.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
What kind of mileage did you get (mpg)? How many miles per tank?
The previous gen version I had would do around 180 ish before it started blinking at ya... 200 was usually pretty easy to get. However, once you hit 75mph, that range will drop fast. That's the trade off of a smaller displacement bike - higher speed/highway runs. But, in the twisties it was a blast!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The previous gen version I had would do around 180 ish before it started blinking at ya... 200 was usually pretty easy to get. However, once you hit 75mph, that range will drop fast. That's the trade off of a smaller displacement bike - higher speed/highway runs. But, in the twisties it was a blast!
Twisties in Texas (Dallas) I know better. Give me a break.:rofl1:

Top Bottom