Trailer Hitch Anyone?

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Hi Larry,

I like the idea BUTT the only hitch that is av ailible at this point to my knowledge is the one from Autrailia and hte cost freight is just too much, for the differance in cost I can add a hitch to my Ultra Classic and get a a lot of miles of riding and towing.If you should happen to locate any other hitch sources please advise me.

Eldon

Nicole

I was riding saturday and saw a cruiser analog on the highway with a trailer. I had been toying with the idea of a pop up style trailer for the NT; untill I saw the fight the guy had everytime a large vehicle (large SUV's included) passed him. Every time, for the about 30 miles that I was tailing him, he was passed by a large vehicle the trailer would start a weave that would include the bike too after a few seconds. The guy didn't look like a newbie rider. It really looked like a great way to wear yourself out and reduce the distance you could cover in one day.

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I was riding saturday and saw a cruiser analog on the highway with a trailer. I had been toying with the idea of a pop up style trailer for the NT; untill I saw the fight the guy had everytime a large vehicle (large SUV's included) passed him. Every time, for the about 30 miles that I was tailing him, he was passed by a large vehicle the trailer would start a weave that would include the bike too after a few seconds. The guy didn't look like a newbie rider. It really looked like a great way to wear yourself out and reduce the distance you could cover in one day.
I've seen that sort of fish-tailing thing too and it never looks inviting. For my purposes I think I can have a hitch made at our local fabrication shop; they did one for me a year or so back and it turned out really clean. When I posed the question I didn't expect to find anyone who's already made one but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks very much for your response.

LL

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Look through KathyL's posts, she has one linked in one of her first post here....
Thanks, I browsed through her posts - 58 of them - but must have missed it. She's still active so maybe I'll send her a note and ask about it.

LL

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Thanks again RedLdr1, I reviewed KathyL's posts and found the link to the Australian hitch builder. Sure enough they make one for our bikes but it's a bit expensive, $650 landed in the USA. I had a nice setup made for my scooter awhile back and it came in at $300 which is a lot more agreeable so I think I'll go back to them. Today I ordered a wiring harness & bike-side plug so hopefully it should be on it's way soon.

LL75

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Please post pictures and a link if you go the custom route. We have several folks who have thought about a trailer hitch but only having one source, with brutal shipping fees, has been the show stopper... You want to let your fabricator know this may not be a "one off" project and see if that helps out on pricing and then do a Group Buy here on the forum...

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Here's what the hitch made by Classic Industries in AU looks like. I've had a number of emails with them, very nice folks but also very firm in their price structure. I expect $650 landed in the US will put most of you off and me as well so I'm going to see what can be produced locally and report back.

What follows are a couple of those emails.

------------------------------
Response to my "would you consider selling a set of TH53 plans I could use to fabricate one locally?"

Hi Larry

Sorry mate we don't have plans on our bars. We make things the old school way. We make a bar on the bike, make jig of the pattern then start making bars from the jig. It works well, no drawings. Be aware, one of the most time consuming bars we have to fit. I won't do them in the factory because of the time blow out.

Regards

Steve

----------------
Response to my email expressing interest in their hitch for the NT700

Hi Larry

I have one TH53 left in stock. You can order on line www.classicind.com.au prices and freight will come up in your currency.
Takes about 10-14 days delivery if we have the part in stock.

Steve & Lyn kitney

Classic Industries Australia Pty Ltd
9-13 Harvest Road
Yandina Qld 4561
Australia
Ph 61 (0)7 5472 7266
fax 61 (0)7 5472 7299
www.classicind.com.au

Attachments

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Update on The Hitch, it's all but finished, the fabricator has been swamped with biz all week and as of today promises it will be ready Friday. So far it looks really good but he still has to round off the remaining rough welds and paint it, then it will be done and we'll re-install it; then I'll be able to road test it.

This afternoon I picked up the NT and brought it home so I could get going on installing the wiring to the trailer connector. My hitch will have an additional receiver mounted to accommodate the Uni-Go trailer but that part will simply bolt onto the standard hitch which will be the normal setup.

No price info yet, got my fingers crossed and hoping it will come in under budget. We'll see what happens, I'll post pics and more info this Friday.

LL75 :wink:

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Just in for a quick lunch break, will post pics and info later today. The hitch is super and it came in under budget!

LL75 :D

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That looks really good! I'm sure you'll be posting mounting pictures and a product evaluation when you use it.

What's it's hitch load rating?

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Here's pics of the hitch we installed on my NT700V today. If anyone's interested in ordering one please contact me, looks like the price is $250 plus UPS/FedEx/USPS shipping to you. No load rating available, this was a one-off made for me that the fabricator could duplicate using my hitch as a pattern. I'm planning on towing my Uni-Go trailer to Spearfish if the Tsunamis don't get me so you can see it there.:eek1:

Please note: The regular configuration will not have the Uni-Go receiver, just the hole where you can install a standard ball or tilting-ball. It's pretty cool and I would think should tow most bike trailers. I've got more pics of the fabrication process that I'll post on my blog as time permits, in the mean time I'll answer questions as best as I can.

LL75 :)

Attachments

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Larrry I am in For SHURE!!!

PM SENT TO to you with address and phone #

Eldon

Top Bottom