Almost Got Car Jacked Last Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, let's be careful that we don't wander off into political debate. Gun and gun use discussions can go that way quickly and that's not what this forum is about.

Chief of Police in my little town lives 2 blocks up the street. We talk to him and his wife when we walk. I offered to show him a cellphone video of my Polaris Slingshot showing 106mph. He just smiled and said, "No, I probably shouldn't see that." Whenever we chat, when we walk on, I always say, "Be careful out there. The world is full of crazies and your little kids need their Dad."
I love living in the boonies. I also pay attention. All the time.

I think lots of people dont realize that the police are not the first responders at the scene of a crime...we are. Police respond as fast as they can...but like many depts, Spokane county sheriffs office is way under manned. If someone comes into your home with a hammer, you are the first responder. If someone tried to car jack you with your kids in the back seat, you are the first responder. The important thing is that people think about this before something happens.......so you can live with the choice you made as to how you prepared....

I think lots of people dont realize that the police are not the first responders at the scene of a crime...we are. Police respond as fast as they can...but like many depts, Spokane county sheriffs office is way under manned. If someone comes into your home with a hammer, you are the first responder. If someone tried to car jack you with your kids in the back seat, you are the first responder. The important thing is that people think about this before something happens.......so you can live with the choice you made as to how you prepared....
Amen! Ultimately, we are our first and only line of defense. Once we recognize that and take action to protect ourselves only then things may begin to change. Up until fairly recently there was a fear of breaking the law, or should I say there was a fear of the consequences of breaking the law. That fear and a moral upbringing by our families and society resulted in a civil society where we did not live in constant fear of being a victim of crime. Now a moral upbringing is the exception, not the rule and criminals can easily see that the negative consequences of crime are no longer to be feared. You are arrested and back out on the street within hours. This IMHO will not change unless and until the criminal can be certain of swift and severe punishment for repeated misdeeds. This change can be wrought by society however a moral upbringing will be considerably more difficult to realize.

Mike

Our church expressly forbids firearms (It is also just about the softest target around) Our priest is OK with them, but the bishop is the one who forbids them.

Our church expressly forbids firearms (It is also just about the softest target around) Our priest is OK with them, but the bishop is the one who forbids them.

Bummer. Mine goes up to the alter with me.

As far as consequences . . . I'll be 79 in November. A life sentence becomes less scarey every day. 👮‍♂️

Amen! Ultimately, we are our first and only line of defense. Once we recognize that and take action to protect ourselves only then things may begin to change. Up until fairly recently there was a fear of breaking the law, or should I say there was a fear of the consequences of breaking the law. That fear and a moral upbringing by our families and society resulted in a civil society where we did not live in constant fear of being a victim of crime. Now a moral upbringing is the exception, not the rule and criminals can easily see that the negative consequences of crime are no longer to be feared. You are arrested and back out on the street within hours. This IMHO will not change unless and until the criminal can be certain of swift and severe punishment for repeated misdeeds. This change can be wrought by society however a moral upbringing will be considerably more difficult to realize.

Mike
ITA. I am thinking I see a shift in the winds I thought I would never see....soft DAs getting booted out of major cities. Crime is on everyone's mind and should be.

Crime like what happened to Bear is not rare in Spokane.....its a huge issue.....
My Sheriff is so fed up with catch and release that he is leaving after many years to become the under sheriff in Sweetwater county, WY.
a convicteed felon.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom