[Review] First Gear Monarch TPG Jacket

Nicole

I have only ridden once with the jacket so far, but here are my impressions:

Fit:
I have a 40.5 inch chest; that is right on the cusp of the sizes Large or Extra Large. I got the Extra Large, because we all know you are more likely to gain weight than loose it and it gives me more room to move as well as pack cold weather gear under. The XL is a bit big on me, but in the Florida muggy heat this is a boon, so no complaints. The sleeves are a tad long, but not so much that it is a bother and I like a good over lap on my gloves from my jacket (sun/wind burn). These fit comments are based on the jacket with out the cold weather liner it came with it in. Obviously it fits better with the liner, but again I wanted to make sure that I could fit other cold weather gear under it.

Finish:
All the stitch work seems to be top notch. I haven't found a single untrimmed thread or out of line stitch. The color of the jacket was not at bright as I was expecting; I got the Tan and Brown.

Function:
I was amazed that I was actually cooler riding in this jacket than I am in my mesh jacket. I was even cooler at a stand still.
There are vents on the wrist area with two way zippers that work to tighten the cuff and then open the vent if you choose. The next vents are located on the chest right at the crease of the arm, these don't seem to work so well, but then like I said I was amazed at how cool I felt. The chest vents have cords to help open them up, but either I am not using them right or it just doesn't work well. Then you have the "exhaust" vents on the back.
The collar and cuff are lined with a soft material that is something I didn't even know I was missing out on with my prior jacket.
In the collar is a rain hood. it stows away so well that I had to remember it was there to look for it. The collar is also more of a turtle neck which will be very nice on the ride to Spearfish, because I will have less worry about sun/wind burn in that area.
The jacket also have a cold weather liner that really does look like it could be a destination jacket. The styling is a casual one, but still nice.

In Short:
I am very happy with the jacket and have not major gripes about it. My only "complaint" is the chest vents and my only disappointment is that I haven't looked into a similar jacket sooner!

Have a great day all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It has been really interesting seeing the posts about mesh jackets vs. vents on jackets in hot weather. I've been using a mesh jacket but will have to give my Tourmaster Transition 3 another try.. it has sets of vents that can be held open with small straps with snaps.

This forum is really a great resource!

Paul
Paul, I have been experimenting between my Transition 3 jacket and my mesh First Gear Jacket. Surprisingly I have not found with the vents open that the Tourmaster feels hotter than the mesh jacket. Off the bike with no air movement I am sure the Tourmaster will heat up quicker however. I will continue the experiment throughout the summer.

Top Bottom