[How To] Garage attic reno - adding space to the workshop!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
Howdy and good afternoon - I hope you are all having a fun day!

Nainie (gramma in Welsh) and I had a ball with two of the daughters in Kitchener and Guelph, Ontario and the hospitality was superb plus it was great to see our granddaughter again!

As some may be aware, my wife and I sold our home in the city of Windsor and have moved out to four acres in Essex County near the village of Harrow. My plan to build. a 1000 sq.ft. pole barn for my hobbies and toys has slowed as we wait for approvals from the environuts who hold sway over the local area. My contractor is still confident but it may take a while. In the meantime, I investigated the attic of the garage and it is actually about 300 sq.ft.of prime storage. The ceiling is very high however and the access is through one of those hideaway ladders built into the ceiling (you may recall the scene from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation movie where Chevy Chase gets clocked by one of these things).

Anyhow, the other day I went up there and cleaned it all up and in the process, I worked out a cool scheme for an electric winch mounted over the floor “hatchway” - and by golly, I’ve got it nearly done (see photos below) despite crunching my back again during the initial clean-up, I have continued to make progress on the garage reno project:
- I got all of the necessary tools and supplies up into the attic to complete the wiring and electric hoist installation;
- I got the threaded black pipe safety railing installed so that the hole in the floor isn’t quite so dangerous (having shamelessly ripped-off the concept from Daughter #3 and her guy who used pipe for the railings in their new home).

8F30E846-34C9-4C92-A936-D661DAF97B3C.jpeg

FF5EFE23-027D-4D81-A42D-A4521364D7EA.jpeg

Today’s progress:
- got into the wiring and have partially installed a duplex receptacle and a second light fixture up there;
- got the hoist installed on the roof joist;
- made the chain and snap hook rig harness that will attach to the big Rubbermaid totes to the hook on the hoist cable.

The little Princess Auto (think Horrible Fright) winch is rated at 220lbs and they supply a second hook with a pulley so that it can lift 440lbs - but I wouldn’t trust it with a person. My needs won’t likely be loads greater than 100 lbs and it should do that with no difficulty.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/220-440-lb-electric-cable-hoist/product/PA0008873192

This will make getting stuff up and down from the attic a piece of cake - and that will clear much of the floor space in the garage below and allow me to get on with my hobbies. Attached is a video of a test run lifting just a lightweight stool - and it all worked just fine!

Pete

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Very clever, Pete! Judging by the pitch of the roof, snow load won't be a problem.
:thumb:

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have similar attic storage over my 2-1/2 car garage/shop and also accessed by a pulldown ladder. I may pirate your daughter's idea of the safety railing made of black pipe. Getting heavy things up/down that narrow ladder is also a hassle but perhaps not done often enough for me to need an electric winch? The worst part is getting large things past the small opening (on 16" centers), made even narrower by the ladder linkage pieces.

Happy New Year to everyone on the NT-Owner's list. :thumb:

ps. Now, if you would have sat on the stool and allowed the HF lift to carry you up, that would have been something!

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
…..and here are some photos of the finished attic and winch installation.
BDDA2559-F13E-41D9-8B5D-51AF6E803CCA.jpeg
I do hope those are lock-nuts there... ;)

Nice concept, railing pretty much mandatory anyway, would consider a wire basket for hauling smaller items...
Think you'll need [MAX WEIGHT CAPACITY], [HARD HAT AREA], [TRAINED OPERATOR ONLY] and [SUSPENDED LOAD/FALL ZONE] signing too... :cool:

(we sometimes need to set up a temp lift to hoist outdoor units, replacement compressors, tools etc... up and down attic spaces...
keeping spectators/bystanders out the perimeter is a nightmare!!! :rolleyes:)

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
I do hope those are lock-nuts there... ;)

Nice concept, railing pretty much mandatory anyway, would consider a wire basket for hauling smaller items...
Think you'll need [MAX WEIGHT CAPACITY], [HARD HAT AREA], [TRAINED OPERATOR ONLY] and [SUSPENDED LOAD/FALL ZONE] signing too... :cool:

(we sometimes need to set up a temp lift to hoist outdoor units, replacement compressors, tools etc... up and down attic spaces...
keeping spectators/bystanders out the perimeter is a nightmare!!! :rolleyes:)
SHHHHH…..I was hoping that nobody would find out about my little system. ;)

….and yes, there are lock washers on the winch suspension bolts.

Pete

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
Progress Report

I have built a little lifting platform with which to move smaller items that aren’t suited to the cargo hook / chain rig that I use on the larger Rubbermaid totes and it works fine. We bought a 5-level plastic shelf unit at Home Despot and I scarfed one of the shelves for the platform.

The plastic shelf and U-bolt lifting platform is remarkably stiff and sturdy, but it wouldn't lift anything that might be too heavy for the attic (such as a metal lathe or a whole bike for example). Basically, if the load gets off the floor of the garage, it should be OK up there.

AED0A1B1-23FF-40AF-9238-72C79BE8F1F2.jpeg

I have also switched over to the snatch-block hook (the one with the pulley) as it cuts the lift speed in half which makes it easier to “steer” the loads through the rather small hatch opening in the attic floor. Also, this rig doubles the lifting capacity of the winch to 440 lbs but I would never ever come close to that load.

I think that the heaviest thing I have lifted thus far might weigh about 60 lbs and that is plenty.

2BE9AF8C-804E-4D07-93CE-2AF42A3CC864.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom