[Review] Hit-Air Inflatable Vest

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks for the report, Chris! Please don't test it just for us!!!!

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
The thing that keeps telling me that the inflatable vest are only able to offer limited protection is the inflation times. I've seen .1 to .25 seconds from activation. Sounds quick, but at 40 mph, .25 seconds is nearly 20 feet once separated from the motorcycle. The time is until full inflation, and surely partial inflation does provide some protection. Hopefully the activation method & inflation times can be improved in the future. 20 feet.....I was on my second skip sliding down the road during last year deer strike.

I could not find any videos of simulated accidents with the inflation vest/jackets. That seems odd. Sure would be nice to see a slow motion pig carcass wrapped in a vest crash into a minivan on a Myth Busters episode.

More protection is always better. I'll buy one when the activation/inflation times improve.

skiper

Looks Good - One could wear it already inflated then no wait time .. No ?

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
They're interesting devices, for sure. Seems like a sound investment.

Armored textiles and leathers protect you while sliding and knee/shoulder pads provide some impact protection. The air bag products, I would think, would certainly provide more protection on the "impact" side of the equation, such as Wendell's unfortunate experience (assuming they inflate in time).

A bit pricey in my opinion, but not terribly so considering the cost of anything motorcycle related (and likewise for equestrian I'd wager, which they also market it to).

It's like insurance I guess - the more protection you want the more you need to spend. Everyone has their own demarcation point between safety, comfort, cost, and appearance.

Thank you for sharing the review. I'll need to keep an eye on these.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Thanks for the info Chris. Like Phil said, just don't feel compelled to give us a first hand report of its effectiveness.
Len

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Chris gave a good review on the Hit-Air vest and the reasons for choosing it. I purchased the French made Helite Airnest vest and received it today. I will write up a review on it after wearing it on my commute tomorrow.

Top Bottom