[How To] How to Test Your Motorcycle’s Stator and Regulator Rectifier | The Shop Manual

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've had Datel digital voltmeters on my last 4 bikes so there was never any mystery as to the health of my charging system. Unfortunately, Datel instruments was bought by another company and they no longer make the motorcycle sized DC voltmeter, I preferred them because they could be easily read in broad daylight where others were unintelligible in the sun.

Reactions: ett
OP
OP
ett

ett

I've had Datel digital voltmeters on my last 4 bikes so there was never any mystery as to the health of my charging system. Unfortunately, Datel instruments was bought by another company and they no longer make the motorcycle sized DC voltmeter, I preferred them because they could be easily read in broad daylight where others were unintelligible in the sun.
Similar here.
When I bought my '00 GSXR750; I had also bought a Kuryakyn LED 12 Volt Battery Gauge. kuryakyn_led_battery_gauge_750x750.jpg
And while owning that '00 GSXR750; I was commuting 70 miles into NYC.
So with the stop-n-go city traffic, hot Summers, and use of heated geared in Winter. I really abused stators on that GSXR. I was replacing stator about every other year.
And that volt meter provided me very good indication of when stator needed replacing.

Thankfully, when that GSXR met it's match with a deer, I made a wise choice to save that volt meter. And now use it on my NT.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In Days of Yore, Honda motorcycles were known for burning out the stator and/or regulator.

A lot of those failures were caused by too much resistance in some of the connectors caused by corrosion, so I always made sure those were clean and well lubed
with dielectric grease. I had one such motorcycle, a '97 PC800 bought new, and never had a failure of those two parts because I did an annual clean and lube
of the charging system connectors.

I sold it with 102k miles on the odometer and it still had the original charging system parts. :)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I stick to what's written in the Honda OEM workshop manual...
And annual inspection as well contact corrosion proving of all essential connectors...

Top Bottom