Idling at 3000 rpm, flashing engine management light

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Just thought I'd share my experience. I checked the valve clearances on my bike which involved removing the throttle block - including the infamous screw! The 4 pin connector on the throttle block was disconnected and the wire flipped over towards the front wheel. When I installed the shield over the front valve cover, I missed reconnecting it. The bike started but ran at 3000 rpm with the engine management light flashing, which I guess would be the same symptom if it failed. I turned the bike off immediately and investigated. I was furious with myself but it runs perfectly now.

Well you're not exactly the first one to miss re-connecting something. Maybe you're the first one this week though. There are plenty of wires and tubes that like to hide on re-assembly. At least you got it solved right away.

Life is a little easier these days with the connectors that the manufacturers use. Back when I was riding British bikes, I had to have someone check all my wiring. Being colour blind is not a good thing when doing electrical work. I learned quickly after I fried some wires and blew lots of fuses---as recently as last year when I restored my Yamaha XS650.

Back
Top Bottom