MPG Meter

john40

Bike
'10 nt700v red
How accurate, generally, is the MPG log on the instrument panel? The reason I ask is because on my Dodge/Ram truck the MPG gauge always reads 4 to 5 MPG high.
Thanks-John

How accurate, generally, is the MPG log on the instrument panel? The reason I ask is because on my Dodge/Ram truck the MPG gauge always reads 4 to 5 MPG high. Thanks-John

About as accurate as your Dodge at best and a little more optimistic than it at worst in my experience. Mine was a tad inconsistent and read anywhere from 4-8MPG high.

About as accurate as your Dodge at best and a little more optimistic than it at worst in my experience. Mine was a tad inconsistent and read anywhere from 4-8MPG high.

I figured as much. When I came back from a day long trip, driving the speed limit or a little slower, it read 70.4 MPG. I would like to believe this, but I knew it was optimistic.
Thanks-John

I think mine is 5 to 10 mpg high. It might be useful to spot trends. Get a base reading, or "norm" and compare to that. As an absolute number, not so useful.

Cmpaed a couple of times to actual fuel consumption, mine on-board meter read about 5 mpg high. Still impresses my riding buddies when we all fill up and compare $$$.

The meter data is about three seconds old by the time you read it and the average it gives is always a bit high. Look on Fuelly for some real world numbers. My gauge reads 62 Fuelly puts me at 55. Happy with both.

Back
Top Bottom