Ok, I understand there are no dumb questions

daler

Bike
2011 Black NT700
Does this look normal?
IMG_20170612_183115659.jpg
These are the two lines to the starter switch.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Those are the throttle cables and mine looks the same. I didn't know that the cables were manufactured with the cutouts on the plastic sheath.

Those cutouts were/are caused by the cable housing rubbing on something that is fairly sharp. In the front of the Service Manual in the General Maintenance section are drawings that show how the cables should be routed.

Does your bike have "bar risers"? Sometimes having bar risers can put unusual strain on the cables, depending on how they are routed.

My NT had a place about that size, the cable cover was indented but not gone, from the time it was new. It couldn't have been caused by rubbing.
I have always wondered if there was a reason for it, or just a defect in the cable covering. It has never caused a problem, just looks odd.

I've never noticed mine before but there are 2 indentations on the outer cable cover at that location. The indentations look like "pinch marks".
Don't know what purpose they would have.

Brad

Don't know why the cutouts are there. Maybe the same cable is used on a different bike and a clamp or something needs the cutout to work correctly.

Brad

I never noticed those cut outs when I had my NT. I'd tape over them to keep any water from seeping in to the throttle cables....nothing like rust in the middle of a cable!

I never noticed those cut outs when I had my NT. I'd tape over them to keep any water from seeping in to the throttle cables....nothing like rust in the middle of a cable!

If I could, I would put some heatshrink with internal glue over it. More permanent than just tape.

If you look closely you will see that they are not cut-outs but "hot" crimps to hold the outer sheath in position onto the actual cable.
The sheath is there to protect the cable where it goes through the Wire Guide at the top triple-clamp on the LHS.

Macka

That was my first thought also but the cutout edges are at 90° with no rub marks. It's manufactured.

I was installing a longer throttle cable on a BMW800GT and remembered this thread.
The cable is a new BMW part and the indents on the sheath are located 6 - 8" from the throttle body end.
Part of manufacturing process and/or a method to lock/locate sheath to cable as Macka stated?

attachment.php

BMW Accel Cable.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom