[Review] SolFX Transitions shield

Bike
2010 Red NT700
For my recent birthday my wife gave me a SolFX Transitions shield for my Bell RS-1. (great helmet, BTW) I installed it literally minutes before leaving for my birthday Hill Country Ride last weekend.

Here is a very brief review after 900 quick miles:
The shield darkens quickly. From the inside of the helmet, it doesn't appear to darken at all, but if you raise the shield so that you can see in normal light, you can see it is pretty dark. So while things inside seem to stay the same, you are actually getting protection from the sun. The shield doesn't provide the ultimate in sunscreen ( I am accustomed to blue blocking technology, which IMHO is the best in sunglasses) but it gets the job done, thus eliminating one step from the 'saddling up' process. Even on an overcast day, the shield will darken some, providing sun screening to the extent needed.
I jokingly say it's like a thermos: it knows what to do, lol.

If you own a Bell or Shoei product that is compatible with the shield I recommend it. At $139, it is an expensive addition to your helmet, but worth it.
Another way to get one and add value to the shield is to buy the latest iteration of the Bell Qualifier DLX, which is a Bell product that comes with the Transitions shield. I understand the newest Qualifier is the first street helmet to offer MIPS technology, which is an important step in the evolution of motorcycle safety
WebBike World says the Qualifier is the best sub $250 helmet money can buy

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I understand the newest Qualifier is the first street helmet to offer MIPS technology, which is an important step in the evolution of motorcycle safety
What's MIPS technology, Clay? I haven't heard of it yet.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hmm... there have been a couple of articles that I've read recently about a new helmet technology that does the same thing in a different way. I can't remember what brand the helmet was but it had, IIRC, two hard shells joined by a bunch of elastic "buttons" which slowed the rotation of the inner liner. Sounds like a good idea.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I had a Bell RS-1 Helmet and loved the transitions shield. But, the Bell visors were terrible in rain - for me - they didn't bead off my I was used to with my Shoei shields. So I sold it. But did love the transitions shield.

When they came out with one for the Shoei helmets I ordered one from Revzilla to try out and was nowhere in the same category as the Bell version. It would not get very dark, it was a very light smoke whereas the Bell version was a very dark smoke yet I had the darkest they make for the shoei. I ended up returning it.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Good to know, Joe
I would love to get a Shoei, but I am super persnickety about the Ear cutouts in a helmet. I fell in love with the GT Air but as soon as I tried one on I knew I couldn't wear it
I can't have anything touching my ears or they start to burn after a short time
It's pretty limiting for me

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Good to know, Joe
I would love to get a Shoei, but I am super persnickety about the Ear cutouts in a helmet. I fell in love with the GT Air but as soon as I tried one on I knew I couldn't wear it
I can't have anything touching my ears or they start to burn after a short time
It's pretty limiting for me
I'm the same way, I wear a head cover before I put on my helmet and it keeps my ears from touching the edges of the ear cutouts and getting irritated. I like these because they don't fit tight but cover my ears.
http://wingstuff.com/products/36530-satin-helmet-head-liner-black?context=american_road_rider-apparel

Top Bottom