The nearly free auxilliary turn signal indicator

Lorien

I had noted for some time that the front turn signal light reflected off the stem of the rear view mirror especially the conical section nearest the mirror. Recently I came across some chrome (Now not silver, not grey but chrome!) duct tape ($3 or so) which I had not seen for quite some time. Wonder what would happen I thought if I placed some of this on the back half of the stem on the conical section. Well, initially not a great deal until I began to rotate the stem much, much futher back than I had ever thought about placing the mirror. Doing this a orange line of reflected light appeared from the driver's view (best seen in dimished light) and this will work very nicely. The refected light from the flashing signal is visable on a clear April day in every sun angle that I have tested it on so far and can even be seen easily through sunglasses (non-polorized). The running light is just barely visable and I have not found it distracting. The image has not been affected by my moving up and down so I think height of driver is a non issue. The intensity will change as you move left and right but it takes a large change of position to get it to diminish totally. For some reason the left light is slightly less bright than the right for no reason I can come up with unless the fairing or something up there is not as symmetrical as I think. The intensity is notably dependant on how flat you can get the tape so put it on carefully. An additional benefit is something I had not thought about for many years in that getting the mirror further back enlarges the image. Of course the mirrors have to be totally readjusted but I find that my blind spots are the same or maybe even some reduced. Also as the sun goes down the effect is greatly enhanced and by twilight you will swear you have a running lght on the mirror stem. Unfortunately the light is really only visible for the driver and not from behind. It is an amusing effect nontheless.
If the day comes that I get some real initiative I will pull the stem, get out my Paasche air brush, polish the reflecting surface mirror smooth, put on a coat of white and then chrome paint and not have to worry about the tape coming loose or degrading.
In any case I think this is a neat little trick though it probably only works on the NT and no other bike so if anyone tries it and likes it enjoy and tell me your experience. Certainly I think I will remember my signals a little better for a while.

If you have the Honda wind deflectors around the turn signals, the blinking light is faintly visable inside the wind deflectors also. I had been searching for small craft mirrors to place on the inside of the wind deflectors that would reflect the turn signal light back to the driver as a reminder to cancal the turn signal. An online search found small 1/2" round mirrors that I thought would work good, but could only buy them in a 20 or 50 pack, so I passed on the buying them. The chrome tape sounds like a great idea that could be trimmed to be very small, just big enough to get the drivers attention. Great idea, I'll be looking for some chrome tape. Thanks.

On my Super10, the turn signals reflect off the inside lower corners of the windshield and make big orange flares. People on the Super10 forum complain about this sometimes, but maybe it was intentional and is useful? I'll have to suggest this next time it comes up over there.

I have wondered how 3M tape would work if this is what you are refering to. For some time I can only come across the red colored tape in 3M brand. Clear is not around for some reason.

I wonder how white reflective tape would work?

Reflectors don't work very good at angles. Reflective tape is at its brightest when the light shined on it is from eye level, and that light is reflected back at 180 degrees (close enough for a cars headlight shining on reflective tape, back to the cars driver).

Try this. Stand about 10 feet from a reflector with a flashlight held at eye level and pointed at the reflector in the dark. It should be a very bright reflection if you are square to the reflector. Drop the flashlight to your hip and shine it at the reflector and it will lose much of the reflection because of the angle. Using reflective tape to try to illuminate a turn signal would be trying to reflect the light at about 90 degree, not the optimal 180. I don't think it would work very well. But a mirror or shiny chrome object would bounce the light any direction it is aimed and should work.

Rick,
What about conventional reflective tape like the stuff from an auto store?

Reflectors and reflective tape return the light to the source. The source is the turn signal and reflective tape will return the light to the turn signal, not the rider. Possibly a very limited limited light would be reflected to the rider.

I would think shiny mirror finish tape would reflect the light at any angle it is aimed, therefore it should work better than reflective tape. Finding a good location to place the shiny mirror chrome tape is the problem. I'd prefer a dime sized piece that is well aimed at me.

That's good information. I will try the chrome tape route. I don't want to go with a buzzer My CB550 has one, and it sounds obnoxious.

I tried some chrome tape on the mirror stem and inside the wind deflector without much success....just couldn't see it in bright sunlight.

Also tried a snap cover from and old raincoat. It slightly convex and has a shiny finish. Took the snap off, dremel-ed out some rough stuff, and used black silicone sealer to attach to the mirror stem and inside the wind deflector. Inside the wind deflector reflects quite a bit of light, and its Amber, which seems to get my attention better than the flashing green light on the dash. Not sure I'll keep it, but it was fun trying to make something work. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0822[1].jpg
    IMG_0822[1].jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0824[1].jpg
    IMG_0824[1].jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0826[1].jpg
    IMG_0826[1].jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom