Where are the tires?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Can someone make a suggestion for tire shopping other than the usual places? I am having a terrible time locating a 150/70/17 that isn't a Metzler and I don't want to spend Michelin money.

Clay, the 150 size is getting scarce. You can use a 160 without difficulty. You will have about a 2mph (fast) speedo error.
Here are some of the sources I have used in the past.
Dennis Kirk
Revzilla
Cycle Gear
Local dealer (last resort)

Mike

Side note on difficulty buying tires... Washington state has bills proposed to ban automobile tires that don't meet their efficiency standards. I suspect the only tires that will meet their standards will be tires specifically designed for EV's. Motorcycle and sports car tires would be banned. WA will save the planet from all things internally combusted at all cost.

Side note on difficulty buying tires... Washington state has bills proposed to ban automobile tires that don't meet their efficiency standards. I suspect the only tires that will meet their standards will be tires specifically designed for EV's. Motorcycle and sports car tires would be banned. WA will save the planet from all things internally combusted at all cost.
What would a person do if they drive a non-EV? Like, perhaps a 1 ton diesel pickup? A low rolling resistance tire made for a Tesla won’t last long on a pickup. And a skinny tire designed for a Prius won’t provide much traction on a Porsche 911 Turbo. LOL
Just another situation where the government thinks they know better than you.

What would a person do if they drive a non-EV? Like, perhaps a 1 ton diesel pickup? A low rolling resistance tire made for a Tesla won’t last long on a pickup. And a skinny tire designed for a Prius won’t provide much traction on a Porsche 911 Turbo. LOL
Just another situation where the government thinks they know better than you.
Like the 55 mph speed limit. There are a whole bunch of new WA laws that aren't even explained to troopers, who break them themselves unknowingly. But when you come up with stupid ignorant laws that effect most people negatively, we can make initiatives to negate them.

Clay, the 150 size is getting scarce.

? There seems to be a plethora of options in 150/70-17. Pro tip from someone who has been doing their own tire changes for years.. when shopping tires on the various websites select "shop all", and manually enter the size you're looking for. If you want cheap, Kenda and Shinko both have 150/70-17 tires for around $100.

Yep, that's what I'm running on my bike at the moment, Kenda K671 Cruiser, they are definitely not the best set of tires I've ever run. But they're still affordable, even though the prices have doubled in the past few years. The mileage life is okay, but only 75% of a Michelin or Avon.

. The mileage life is okay, but only 75% of a Michelin or Avon.

I'm not speaking for the Kenda K671 specifically, but price and brand name is not necessarily an indicator of tread life. I've had Kendas and Shinkos last considerably longer than higher priced Bridgestones, Pirellis, and Michellins on same bikes.

? There seems to be a plethora of options in 150/70-17. Pro tip from someone who has been doing their own tire changes for years.. when shopping tires on the various websites select "shop all", and manually enter the size you're looking for. If you want cheap, Kenda and Shinko both have 150/70-17 tires for around $100.

I should have clarified my comment by stating that finding a 150/70/17 in stock was difficult. I went to put new tires on my Wee and could find no 150/70/17s in Dunlop, Michelin, or Avon in stock anywhere.

Mike

I am going to put Dunlop Trailmax Missions on my V-Strom here in a few months. Can get them local at Performance Cycle for about the same as the internet price. Yes I still have pay sales tax but no shipping involved as the store is 10 miles away from my house. Yes they do ship if required.

Dunlop RoadSmart III or IV. Not quite as grippy in the wet as Michelins but an excellent tyre and they fit the NT700

Clay, the 150 size is getting scarce. You can use a 160 without difficulty. You will have about a 2mph (fast) speedo error.
Here are some of the sources I have used in the past.
Dennis Kirk
Revzilla
Cycle Gear
Local dealer (last resort)

Mike
Note that Cycle Gear is owned by Revzilla and in or out of stock will be the same.

Note that Cycle Gear is owned by Revzilla and in or out of stock will be the same.

RevZilla, Cycle Gear, and JP Cycles are all under CoMoto.

Outside of them is Rocky Mountain ATV, Motosport both I've dealt with out issue. I've noticed though, it doesn't matter who I get tires from they usually come with a Parts Unlimited sticker applied somewhere. Parts Unlimited is a massive dealers' distributor.

Back
Top Bottom