Check engine light and Toronto to Maryland run.

Traveling all day Toronto to Grantsville MD Had pulled over to check something on the GPS.

Bike stumbled and took a few tries to catch.

Then the check engine light came on tho the bike ran fine.

Pulled over and got out the manual which was sparse on the subject...figured it was something with the pollution control it did not like..

Thought maybe I'd blocked something under the seat with the tire repair kit to checked that - nothing obvious.

Buttoned back up ( I was due for a break anyways so no biggie ).

Been fine all day.....any thoughts ??

Still getting used to the ergonomics.

Find the side stand not confidence building....seems to kick the bike a bit straight and does not have much of a forward angle so have to be careful of my cambers

Farkles worked fine tho...Grip puppies and left and right cramp busters were brilliant. Not a bit of sore hands and the Parabellum screen was just right. :smile:

Shoulders a bit sore but after 11 hours mostly in the saddle not that surprised.

Found using the rear footpegs for a position break useful. Knee bend is a bit more than I like but then the Vstrom is so tall that's to be expected.

I don't think the bike has been lowered - don't know if there is a lowering kit ( certainly not needed ) - the previous owner just lowered the seat foam an inch.

Not a twists machine by any stretch but does the slab and backroads comfortably and very stable. Packed very light for this trip ( no top case ) and had room to spare.

So far pretty happy tho the knee angle is a bit worrisome. Feedback welcome.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
MacDoc, I've had five knee replacements and my knees don't do well if they're bent too much. I added Motorcycle Larry's Peg Lowerers and they have helped. I'm pretty comfortable now riding all day. The Rostra Electronic Cruise Control and my Russell DayLong Saddle are both big parts of that.

Seagrass directed you to the MIL (aka Check Engine Light) thread. Just to reiterate, if you can do the following safely, if the light comes on when the engine is running, do not shut the engine down. Instead, pull over (if you are riding), put the side stand down, and count the MIL flashes between pauses.

Your experience sounds like it might be an eight flash situation, meaning the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Lots of discussion on the forum about that, including from me because I had that problem. In can come on very occasionally, and lead to occasional stumbling or missing, but can also result in fairly severe poor running. It seems that folks are able to limp home even when the symptom is severe. Often turning the bike off and then restarting will clear the problem temporarily.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves. If it happens again count the flashes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MacDoc
So what? doesn't make it a twists machine...:rolleyes1:

Tires are fine - I don't push as hard as I used to but 50 years of riding intermediate bikes including an RD400 for a long time gives me experience to judge.

???

Your experience sounds like it might be an eight flash situation, meaning the Throttle Position Sensor (TSP). Lots of discussion on the forum about that, including from me because I had that problem. In can come on very occasionally, and lead to occasional stumbling or missing, but can also result in fairly severe poor running. It seems that folks are able to limp home even when the symptom is severe. Often turning the bike off and then restarting will clear the problem temporarily.
sounds exactly it....I did notice it flash but did not count.
Thanks for heads up.

I think I opened the throttle too much on a hot restart - it proceeded from there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think I opened the throttle too much on a hot restart - it proceeded from there.
My guess is that you just described the cause of the problem.

I did have the TPI indication several times the first year I had the bike. Once it died in rush hour traffic on I-25 in Denver, but when I made it to the side of the road, it restarted and let me limp 15 miles to my dealer. I got there and shut the bike off and the light was gone. My dealer said that the the TPI fault could be caused by a faulty regulator/rectifier and replaced that. It was about at that same time that the spark plug cap issue was discovered, so they replaced them. I've never had another engine code in the last 100K miles.

I have had it not run right (but without showing a code) when I've given it too much throttle after a hot restart. I remember when my Dad started flying a Beechcraft Baron back in 1960 that it was one of the first planes with fuel injected Continental engines. It could be nearly impossible to start when it was hot. Fuel injection has come a long way since 1960!

Bike
2009 Deauville NT700V Red
TPS sensor is a JT7H

FYI Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).
Honda call it integrated. I have just discovered why.. Honda cycle parts have MEW part numbers. The TPS is a JT7H a quick ebay search will tell you this is a TPS for a 03-05 Honda Accord Element 2.4L and some others. This not a Honda motorcycle part.
I have just discovered this after having my NT off the road for almost a year now. Because I refuse to pay 10% of the bike price for an entire throttle body. The list prices I have seen (AU$) 1100-1600+ Just ordered the sensor for $28.05 AUD $18.96 USD.(delivered) I'm sorry guys and gals. When this thing is running again it is GONE! no more Hondas for me.
I'm not sure what is next but the 2016 FJR is looking very good.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Re: TPS sensor is a JT7H

FYI Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).
The TPS is a JT7H
I'm sorry guys and gals. When this thing is running again it is GONE! no more Hondas for me.
I'm not sure what is next but the 2016 FJR is looking very good.
Holy cow! You found the missing part number. You are going to fix your NT and sell it, but will someday be some NT owners hero for finding that part number.
By the way, the FJR is awfully tempting, and I can't see anything wrong with wanting one.

Top Bottom