Lets See Your Lights...

rs42sport

Hello ya'll, I'm looking to find out the best lighting out there for the bike.. I would like to see your auxiliary lights on the bike and maybe some night pics to go along with it... It would help if we put all the info and pics in one thread so that people don't need to search threw all the other threads on the subject... I am still looking for that deal on the Nt700v but rite now I'm more curious on the new Nc700x..

Interesting to see my mounts also work with the optional wind deflectors. I didn't have those on my bike. Did you use the instrument surround with the holes for the wiring?

I mounted my Denali D1's to the fender mounting bolt. Working fine so far. Phil has his mounted the same way, as do some others on the forum.
You can also see the Hyperwhites mounted under the headlight cowl.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

And yeah, what Phil said, DO NOT use locktite on the fender mounting bolts!!!!!!

Last edited:
Works just great as long as you don't try to use LocTite on the mounting bolt! :)

MY D2's are mounted to tip over bars. Pretty easy install.

Brad

Attachments

• 003M.jpg
    003M.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 124
I've got my Denali D1s mounted on the fender. I haven't found any downside to that location yet. Somebody said it increased unsprung weight. I'm sure it does that, but I can't tell the difference in handling or ride.

I don't guess I've got any showing the lights on either in daylight or at night. I'll try to get some and post them.

I wish I could reply to this thread, but it would just be a picture of a bunch of peices to my HID bulb kit on my kitchen table

Will the lights hit if the bike gets dropped or are they far enough back to keep from getting dinged?

They are likely to be damaged in an accident or tipover event.
#1 rule is to keep the rubber side down. If you follow that one they will last forever.

Brad

I want to revive this thread. I'm a new NT owner and like my name says I use my bike everyday for commuting to work unless there is snow or ice on the road. Here in Seattle area it doesn't happen very often. But we do have lots of days with wet roads and cagers that have less visibility from wipers and NW drizzle. I like what Bobagain has done and mounted them up high and I'm thinking of doing the same. My question are these:

-Has anybody else mounted them high and what are you opinions on them verses being lower on the fender or wings?
-Does anybody have other brands installed other then Denali's? i.e Vision XSolstice, Clearwater or other brands?
-Has anybody mounted two sets of lights, one for driving and one as fog or DRL's?

This is a good thread for anybody looking for lighting ideas and pics, we just need a few more to make it more complete.

Thanks
Kyle

-Has anybody else mounted them high and what are you opinions on them verses being lower on the fender or wings?
-Does anybody have other brands installed other then Denali's? i.e Vision XSolstice, Clearwater or other brands?
-Has anybody mounted two sets of lights, one for driving and one as fog or DRL's?

Thanks
Kyle

The main issue with traditional headlamp designs is that when a bike is leaned over while in a turn, the edge of the beam points more toward the ground than the direction of travel. The only bike manufacturer to address this issue is BMW with its K1600 series having a zenon light that is pitch compensating, not just the legally required dynamic leveling system that all manufacturers must adhere to with HID/zenons. Here is a visual example of what I'm talking about.... [video=youtube;ph--f_gV9Rc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph--f_gV9Rc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Anyway, the best way to anhance the lighting on our non k1600 bikes is to purchase a wide beam set of aux lights and mount them up higher than the fixed headlight. The reason being is that the closer to the ground they are, the less amount of light they will offer in a turn. The only downside is that in foggy conditions they may make visibility worse...so get a set of fogs too ;)

One of the advantages to the fender mounts for the Denalis is that they make a bigger triangle with the headlight, which enhances (at least IMNSHO) the visibility and noticeabilty of bike to oncoming motorists.

Does anybody have other brands installed other then Denali's? i.e Vision XSolstice, Clearwater or other brands?

I have a set of Clearwater Kristas that were on my NT and will be on my Tri-Glide when I figure out the best mounting location. With the Kristas you could turn the stock low beam headlight on the NT off and not notice....:eek1: I also upgraded the NT headlight to SilverStar Ultras which was a significant improvement over the OEM setup. Clearwaters are pricey but they offer unbelievable light output...

BTW a lot of us found the headlights were poorly aimed from the factory, you might want to check your aiming if you haven't already.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I wired the Kristas with the High / Low Beam option so I had two different intensities. You also have a "Volume Control" rheostat you can use to adjust the intensity.

Last edited:
BTW a lot of us found the headlights were poorly aimed from the factory, you might want to check your aiming if you haven't already.

Already adjusted thanks to earlier posts on the subject. It did make a big difference.

RedLdr1, where did you mount your Kristas?

One of the things I like about the fender-mounted D1s is that they apparently don't blind oncoming drivers. For awhile, I was getting flashed by oncoming drivers but then one night as I came down my street, I realized that I had the headlight aimed so high that both low beams and high beams were blinding people I met. When I re-aimed the headlight accurately, I see better and don't blind folks.

Just a thought about the Denali's. I rode with Tim and Ken about 4 to 6 weeks ago (too long ago). I had planned out a route
that I had taken a few times before, so I was at the front of the ride. There were times when I got too far ahead of the guys,
but I could look in my mirrors and see those two Denali's staring at me from as much as a mile back, and that was in the
DAYTIME. I rarely ride at night, but if I did, those lights would be a must have. Those auxillary lights on Tims bike are not
only functional, they look good the way he has them set up.

Joe

I finally got some extra lights and installed them. Thanks to everyone's previous posts, it gave me lots of ideas and brands. I ended up going with Rigid Industries Dually Fog lamps and mounted them low on the tip over wings. Best price and value I found, $164 on Amazon. I made shims so that they are parallel with the ground since the wings are slightly angled. I decided to go with the fog version since they were going to be mounted low I wanted a wide beam pattern to light up the sides of the road and most importantly to give a better light signature to be seen by other motorists. So far I have to say I'm quite impressed. I've even gotten the chance to use them in the fog and dark. They light up the sides of the road nicely and give a nice wide patch of light in front of me. Being fog lamps they don't through a far beam but I wasn't expecting them too. Instillation was straight forward but I need to rewire them. I ordered a Fuzeblock so they won't be hard wired to the battery. It comes with a nice waterproof lighted switch but I scratched my head and traveled the internet looking for a way to mount it. I ended up coming up with the idea of mounting the switch in the lid of the locked glove box. I actually ordered three switches that I'm going to mount there so they look uniform when I'm ready to attach extra lights and accessories. I'll take pictures of that once its finished.

2012-11-25_14-14-18_679.jpg
2012-11-25_14-14-41_233.jpg
2012-11-25_14-15-05_734.jpg
2012-11-25_14-15-22_413.jpg

Back
Top Bottom