Removing HISS transponder from key?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
there is a range, of course being on key ring is close enough. Spyder key has a chip in it too, they are good for 4-5'

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
why don't you just cut off the key end, then keep the HISS part encased in the black plastic with new key on same ring?
It's already cramped there (satnav bracket), GF is already bit struggling to get the key fully in and unlock the steering block...

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
get her to take off all those charms that YOU gave her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then there will be room!?#&^%@

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
another thought................. do some testing................ put the hiss key in her pocket, will it start? put the hiss key in her purse in the rear trunk or saddlebag, will it start? may not need it right on steering column. that transponder is like the new type credit cards, it gives off a code for a certain distance. signal is not tied from the embedded chip in plastic to the metal key in order to work, like transferring thru it

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If the chip appears to be weather resistant, attach it to the lock cylinder with some 3M trim tape.

Mike

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My experience shows that the transponder needs to be very close to the key cylinder in order to work. I have heard of people attaching the transponder directly to the cylinder, but it is the size of a grain of rice and if it ever falls off for whatever reason, you could be stranded. My vote would be to keep it where the engineers intended it to be... secure in the key fob. YMMV

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Cut the metal part off the old key, tape the top part containing the transponder right next to the new key, and run the key ring through both slots. If it works you can put some marine heat shrink tubing around both keys at the plastic and shrink it down.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
All set...

went easier as expected, what appeared as "shiny, probably epoxy/resin" was simply soft rubbery glue, like engine sealant...
I also swapped the adhesive OEM logo/cover onto the aftermarket key, can't tell the difference anymore :cool:

IMG_20211017_103358.jpg

Pattern key from eBay: € 18.90,- incl P&P
cutting at quick service: € 22.70,- incl VAT
Total € 41.60,- plus two drops of Pattex glue... :cool:

In Australia we just go to a locksmith and they can read the transponder chip and clone it to a blank chip.

Once the chip is cloned the locksmith selects the correct key blank, cuts it to duplicate the original key and then inserts the chip into a special pocket in the key head.

Seagrass

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Charlie are you in Australia, if so what state and suburb?

I believe Mark Drinnan at Richmond Locksmiths in NSW can do it and I have previously used. Locksmith at Penrith South but I do not recall their name and it was some years ago.

Most locksmiths are now able to offer this service as the security chips are in most vehicle keys.

Seagrass

Charlie are you in Australia, if so what state and suburb?

I believe Mark Drinnan at Richmond Locksmiths in NSW can do it and I have previously used. Locksmith at Penrith South but I do not recall their name and it was some years ago.

Most locksmiths are now able to offer this service as the security chips are in most vehicle keys.

Seagrass
Thanks for your reply. Surprisingly I have found a local Locksmith here in Tamworth where I reside. He seems confident in being able to make copy.

Top Bottom