Removing HISS transponder from key?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
G'Day,

one OEM key of my GF's NT700VA is in bad shape, I managed to get a blank replacement (needs to be cut/copied) and will have to swap the transponder...
The thingy (located behind the Honda decal) seems to be hot-glued into the handle, anyone removed it successfully yet? Gentle use of heat-gun or ~20 minutes in the oven at like 50~60°C/120~140°F?

IMG_20211007_175721.jpg

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
A Honda dealer should be able to cut and program the new key for you. Digging the transponder out of the old key without damaging it will be difficult.

Sorry I can't help you further, US spec NT's like mine did not have the transponder keys.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Yep, no Hiss on the USA version. That was one of the many things Honda removed for this market. From everything I've read we didn't lose anything by not having it! 🙄

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Good luck transferring the transponder.
I would suspect chemical bonding glue not hot glue but that is a guess.
Sounds like a project I would try. Some of my projects work, some do not but I seem to enjoy them anyway.

Brad

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
In Australia we just go to a locksmith and they can read the transponder chip and clone it to a blank chip.

Once the chip is cloned the locksmith selects the correct key blank, cuts it to duplicate the original key and then inserts the chip into a special pocket in the key head.

Seagrass

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Luckily, none of the US Honda models were fitted with HISS. My guess is that the most stolen bike in America is an H-D and some sport bikes are also attractive to sticky hands.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
In Australia we just go to a locksmith and they can read the transponder chip and clone it to a blank chip.

Once the chip is cloned the locksmith selects the correct key blank, cuts it to duplicate the original key and then inserts the chip into a special pocket in the key head.

Seagrass
Same in Europe so I'd assume you can do it in the US...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Doubt so... and the Honda-stealer charges big $$$ for the recoding of a new key (plus they rather sell you a new one for more $$$)

Will see how well the old one digs out...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Luckily, none of the US Honda models were fitted with HISS. My guess is that the most stolen bike in America is an H-D and some sport bikes are also attractive to sticky hands.
In 2019 By brand it’s #1 Honda, #2 Yamaha,
#3 Harley Davidson.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I would guess that the NT is the least-stolen model of Honda.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I would guess that the NT is the least-stolen model of Honda.
I reckon that's a pretty safe bet!

:thumb:

Mike

But, didn't we have someone 5 or 6 (or more) years ago that had one stolen? My remembery may be faulty.....

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Nope that would have to be the DN-01...also known as Do Not Order One. NT under the skin but really fugly to say the least.
1633719276825.png
Oh yeah, I fergot about that one! I wonder if Honda still has it's designer standing in the corner?

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Warren - I would suspect that Honda & Yamaha come out ahead of H-D in "the most often stolen" stats because they have so many different models and lots of them are small and easily lifted into a pickup truck or even into the back of a van. Dirt bikes & ATVs are often stolen because they sit outside for months and months, totally ignored, and it might be weeks before someone notices it missing!

DN = Do not order...now, that's funny.

In the late-70s, Honda created their oval piston NR500 that was a dismal failure at least as a race bike. The worker bees said NR stood for Not Ready. In all fairness to the NR, it had way too much new & untried technology on one bike: the weird engine housed in a monocoque chassis, upsidedown forks, single shock rear with progressive linkage, carbon fibre wheels, and 16" wheels & tires.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I saw the one and only DN I've ever seen at the Honda dealer in Rapid City during our NT/ST rally in '12. I got a flat we couldn't fix and had to be towed to Rapid to get a new tire. The DN was there for some kind of maintenance and was the bike that had to be finished before they would change my tire.

I don't remember anyone having an NT stolen, but my remembery is definitely faulty.

I do think one DN was stolen on a dark winter night, but when the sun came up the next day the thieves brought it back.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I recently went through this same drill when getting a new key fob for a 2001 VW Jetta. Carefully dig out the old transponder. Mine appeared to be a glass pellet with visible copper wire winding inside. Transferred it to the new fob and because it was secured between the two plastic halves of the fob, I literally held it in place with chewing gum. Worked the treat and saved a ton of money as our local locksmith wanted to gouge some ridiculous amount to "program" a new one.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
why don't you just cut off the key end, then keep the HISS part encased in the black plastic with new key on same ring? i works by radio waves to a transponder somewhere

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
why don't you just cut off the key end, then keep the HISS part encased in the black plastic with new key on same ring? i works by radio waves to a transponder somewhere
This might just work, these systems usually have a ring antenna surrounding the lock cylinder. With the old transponder on the same key ring, it would be all about proximity to the antenna. It may not be repeatable or reliable every time.

Top Bottom