New 2016 Yamaha FJR

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
First of all, if you like the weather protection of the NT, you probably want the completely faired RT. Second, I suspect that the claimed 520 lbs wet of the partially faired RS is optimistic. A new RT is about 630 lbs wet. There can't be 100 pounds in the extra tupperware.

A couple of guys put a fully fueled FJR on two (both wheels) and three (wheels and sidestand) computerized truck scales. Both results were in the 680 lb. range.

I thought about an RT before I decided on the FJR. Heard too many IBA horror tales. Plus, I can maintain the FJR by myself.
I think 680 is a fair number...100 lbs over the NT and about the same as the Connie. I really dont have much bad to say about the BMW RT except that with WA sales tax, you wouldnt get much change back from your $25,000 bill. I dont care how good a bike it is...that is way overpriced......I will let others buy it and be happy.......

Bike
Bonneville T120
In 5 years when I retire my NT should still be in good enough shape for the occasional long trip I might want to make. My wife and I built a house in a 55 and older retirement community in Lake St. Louis MO and a scooter in the 300-400 cc range seems ideal for running errands etc in the small community so my next new purchase will probably be one of those. I know some of you currently have or have owned a scooter. Care to share any advice regarding them.
I forgot to mention the Honda Forza 300. That's what the wife rides now and she absolutely loves it. It moves pretty well, it's agile and gets great mileage. We've done overnight trips, me on the Bonneville and she on the Forza. I find it a bit cramped for me: 5'11" and two hundred er huh but pounds.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I forgot to mention the Honda Forza 300. That's what the wife rides now and she absolutely loves it. It moves pretty well, it's agile and gets great mileage. We've done overnight trips, me on the Bonneville and she on the Forza. I find it a bit cramped for me: 5'11" and two hundred er huh but pounds.
Dan, thanks for the scooter info. I am 5'7" and weigh 135 so I think a 300 will get me where I need to go in good shape.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
To all you that been lusting over a new bike and then REALITY Hits. Think about this. "One never saw a U-Haul at the cemetery". Most of us are at the age that ""It is not the need that counts anymore it is the want" Go for it, "Life is too short and can change in an instant." Ride what you enjoy and Enjoy what you ride.:)
What Happened to Chuck, Tim and Wayne? Probably off for Christmas! OK, I looked at my investments and I have way too much money and way too little time left on this earth.... So I can actually consider a 2014 FJR vs a 2016. I am not crazy about the 2016 color but I could live with it. (Its not red). I got to thinking though, the hype says the new six speed has an "assisted slipper clutch" as well as a taller top gear. I have pulled in the clutch on an ST1300 and it at least seems much heavier than my 2003 1000 cc Kawasaki Concours. I was wondering about the clutch effort of the 2014 FJR. Any opinions? No dealer around here has one I can sit on. Yamaha is at least saying that the clutch effort on the 2016s will be less, which would be very nice.
Which is the best forum to get on for the FJR?
Chris who skips gears on all his cars and bikes.....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I like this FJR forum http://www.fjrowners.com/forums/index.php My persoanal Pref. as I think it is a bit friendlier and I can manage the daily post better. The other FJR forum is a bit more diffacult for me to manipulate http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php? Both forums have a lot of cross over members and the subject matter is pretty much the same.

Clutch pull on my 2014 FJR is normal to me and presents no problem for me. YMMV Of course I have been pulling a ST1300 clutch for the last 12 years and a ST1100 clutch for 10 years before that. Hold out for what you really want. If it is a red 14 model than I am sure you will be able to find one. Might have to do a Fly and ride for it, just like I did for my 2014 RED Wee. Keep an eye on the FJR Forums.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I like this FJR forum http://www.fjrowners.com/forums/index.php My persoanal Pref. as I think it is a bit friendlier and I can manage the daily post better. The other FJR forum is a bit more diffacult for me to manipulate http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php? Both forums have a lot of cross over members and the subject matter is pretty much the same.

Clutch pull on my 2014 FJR is normal to me and presents no problem for me. YMMV Of course I have been pulling a ST1300 clutch for the last 12 years and a ST1100 clutch for 10 years before that. Hold out for what you really want. If it is a red 14 model than I am sure you will be able to find one. Might have to do a Fly and ride for it, just like I did for my 2014 RED Wee. Keep an eye on the FJR Forums.
Thanks, Chuck! I am now on both forums....gotta find someone who lives in Spokane who will let me sit on their bike....so you would say that the ST1300 clutch is noticably heavier than the '14 FJR?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Thanks, Chuck! I am now on both forums....gotta find someone who lives in Spokane who will let me sit on their bike....so you would say that the ST1300 clutch is noticably heavier than the '14 FJR?
About the same to me, Maybe the FJR is slightly lighter. Hard to say as I said, I never had an issue with clutch pull.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I agree with Chuck. I am on both forums, but I like the fjrowners forum a little better also.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I agree with Chuck. I am on both forums, but I like the fjrowners forum a little better also.
OK, I havent noticed a big difference between forums yet so for awhile, I will be on both....I have (I think) an FJR lined up to see on Tuesday...if the visit doesnt fall through...that will help me make up my mind....

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Clutch, whatza clutch? Still prefer two hand brake levers instead of one foot and a hand.

My experience with scooters? The Honda PCX150 is too small for anything but short city errands. It has a terrible seat and poor weather protection.

The Suzuki Burgman 400 is a great all purpose scooter capable of almost anything. It just gets a bit buzzy above 70 mph.

BUT, my Burgman 650 is superb at almost every task - two up, long distance cruising, carrying it ALL with you, great fuel economy at half the price of nearly every other bike in this discussion. Complete weather protection, huge comfy seat, etc. I even prefer it in town to the smaller bikes. I haven't been tempted to look astray, yet. But, you never know what Honda may come up with next!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Clutch, whatza clutch? Still prefer two hand brake levers instead of one foot and a hand.

My experience with scooters? The Honda PCX150 is too small for anything but short city errands. It has a terrible seat and poor weather protection.

The Suzuki Burgman 400 is a great all purpose scooter capable of almost anything. It just gets a bit buzzy above 70 mph.

BUT, my Burgman 650 is superb at almost every task - two up, long distance cruising, carrying it ALL with you, great fuel economy at half the price of nearly every other bike in this discussion. Complete weather protection, huge comfy seat, etc. I even prefer it in town to the smaller bikes. I haven't been tempted to look astray, yet. But, you never know what Honda may come up with next!
Wait till you see the NT 1000!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chris,

I will second what Jon & Chuck say regarding clutch. the only thing I currently know of with a hand wearing clutch is on my 01 Ultra classic ehich is direct cable with no Hydraulic assist, and the onlyplace it creats a problem is if dealing with a lot of city traffic.

Eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
About the same to me, Maybe the FJR is slightly lighter. Hard to say as I said, I never had an issue with clutch pull.
Today the motorcycle shops reopenned and the weather was good enough to drive 110 miles to see a 2015 FJR in a showroom.
The short report...I like it!
The Long Report. Found the 2015 FJR parked along side a new Kaw C14 in GREEN. Ugly bike, but no matter, it was a good compare. The FJR looked smaller than the Kaw which was pleasantly surprising. I slung my leg over the F and it was easy to get on. Feet were flat on the ground with room to spare. With the understanding that the tank was probably all but empty, I pitched it left and right a bit….it felt fine…not heavy at all. I paddled around the showroom floor a bit and I had no problem there. The salesperson arrived and after nose sniffing, I asked him to spot me putting the bike on the center stand….I had no issues there at all (but also keeping in mind the fuel load). Sitting on the bike, everything felt fine for my lanky 6’2” frame. In fact, it felt much the same as my NT. I cringed a bit when I worked the clutch but then I put the clutch adjustment to Position 5 and tried it again…it felt fine….no issues…my small hands just needed the adjustment. The salesperson was busier than a one armed paper hanger with crabs and foot fungus, so I just sat on the bike to see how it felt for awhile and checked it out…..no issues. Getting off the bike, my hands couldn’t work the headlight adjusters . Too weak in old age, I guess. I got one to move one direction a bit. I have a tool to remove jar lids, too. I did wonder if it was true that the headlights needed one hour of shop time to replace the bulbs like one guy’s vid said. I checked out the rear wheel removal as I had read the procedure and it looked easier than the NT or the Connie C10. I asked for the key and checked out the pannier space…not as bit as the C10 or NT with the big lids but certainly adequate. I would say that for me, I would need a bigger windscreen, a real luggage rack, and the canyon cages and bag protectors for farkels. My only work now is to sort out what color I really want and how much I want to pay for it, and I think I will have that done by the middlish of next week…..the 2015 “Charcoal” (Really Luftwaffe bluish grey) isn’t at all as bad as I thought it would be in person…but nothing beats red!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The panniers are deceiving large. With the pannier bag liners you will be able to get more in, then the NT w/large lids. Remember the FJR panniers are both the same size. Remember the panniers can bee removed and placed on their back, and packed in the house, with out the STuff falling out. Also the liners are included with the bike. Good luck with the negotiations. Keep us informed.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The panniers are deceiving large. With the pannier bag liners you will be able to get more in, then the NT w/large lids. Remember the FJR panniers are both the same size. Remember the panniers can bee removed and placed on their back, and packed in the house, with out the STuff falling out. Also the liners are included with the bike. Good luck with the negotiations. Keep us informed.
And any rate, they look great and I think I will love them! And they come off just like my soon to be sold /given away C10!

I was handed a cost form for YES today at a dealer and they said I would get a 25% discount. Here are the retail figures.
12 month $440, 24 m 540, 36mo 620, 48 m $690
So my question to him (he didnt know) and to you is, when does the YES kick in? After the first year? So a 48 month is really five years?

Down to three dealers now.....BTW, the old cash incentives were renewed till Jan 30th....FYI...I should know more about which dealer I pick on Saturday at 10:am (I hope).

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
And any rate, they look great and I think I will love them! And they come off just like my soon to be sold /given away C10!

I was handed a cost form for YES today at a dealer and they said I would get a 25% discount. Here are the retail figures.
12 month $440, 24 m 540, 36mo 620, 48 m $690
So my question to him (he didnt know) and to you is, when does the YES kick in? After the first year? So a 48 month is really five years?

Down to three dealers now.....BTW, the old cash incentives were renewed till Jan 30th....FYI...I should know more about which dealer I pick on Saturday at 10:am (I hope).
Yes, 4 years after your 1 year factory warranty runs out. You have until the factory warranty runs out to buy the Yes. Buy your YES from D&H.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yes, 4 years after your 1 year factory warranty runs out. You have until the factory warranty runs out to buy the Yes. Buy your YES from D&H.
Must look into this D and H thing...no problem buying over the phone/net over state lines?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Must look into this D and H thing...no problem buying over the phone/net over state lines?
Yamaha dealers actually do deal, I found some in TX that would match the D&H amount close enough that it was worth it to me to rent a car and get the bike vs a bus over to D&H. My DFW dealer would come close but couldn't find a bike so I ended up with one closer to Houston.. that's for the Super Tenere but I would imagine it's the same situation for an FJR. Chuck got his in TX so maybe that dealer also has some wiggle room.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck got his in TX so maybe that dealer also has some wiggle room.
I bought my bike in Georgetown, Texas but bought the YES in Loveland, CO. Reason for buying the bike in Texas was the Dealer gave me a very good Trade on my ST1300. I also knew him as he was a neighbor in my old WF, Texas neighborhood. He also sold me the ST1300 12 years before. It was a spur of the moment thing. Needed a front tire. When I called D&H for the YES, They told me at that time they did not accept credit cards, only cash or check.(Cuts into their profit) So I would have had to mail a check and wait. The Colorado dealer was able to come close enough for me to buy local. Everybody happy.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I bought my bike in Georgetown, Texas but bought the YES in Loveland, CO. Reason for buying the bike in Texas was the Dealer gave me a very good Trade on my ST1300. I also knew him as he was a neighbor in my old WF, Texas neighborhood. He also sold me the ST1300 12 years before. It was a spur of the moment thing. Needed a front tire. When I called D&H for the YES, They told me at that time they did not accept credit cards, only cash or check.(Cuts into their profit) So I would have had to mail a check and wait. The Colorado dealer was able to come close enough for me to buy local. Everybody happy.
I am finding out more than I care to know about buying an FJR in winter.
1. Many dealers are cash starved....if they can move something off the floor, you can get big discounts....In the state of WA, including a $750 Yamaha dealer incentive the customer can use as a down payment,or not, You can drive away from more than one WA dealer on a new 2015 FJR for $15000 out of your own pocket, and that includes lic and title and 8.2 Percent sales tax. The bike alone is $13,800. Most dealers I am finding just use these incentives for their profit....the important point is to pay attention to the bottom line....and dont get lost in the extra fees....compare apples to apples. If you want a 2014 that ISNT on the showroom floor, you will pay more than a 2015 that IS.
2. Dealer additions of freight, assembly, and $150 paperwork fee are added profit and are entirely negotiable.
3. Yamaha holds auctions of excess inventory to its dealer network......and if some dealer who will remain nameless till I buy mine buys a 2014 FJR at auction right, they can sell it for $12,400 cash in a no tax state...and keep the current $1,000 Yamaha "customer" incentive for their profit. Or sell it for $11,900 plus "freight, prep, and paperwork" which adds $900 or whatever the dealer says.....
4. Catch a cash strapped dealer at the right time and if you are good at haggling, you can get a good deal....but by the end of March, many incentives on late model bikes go away....but not all...especially on 2 year old bikes and more....you never know....
5. If a dealer says they "need to make $1,000" on a sale, that is their business. Dont jump up and down and say BS. Its their business and no one elses. You can always make offers or just go to another dealer....

Top Bottom