New 2016 Yamaha FJR

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
BTW, I called D and H cycle in Alabama on how to get the YES extended warrenty for $395, and I am not saying this is correct, I am saying this is what he told me and I have no reason to doubt him...."I cant sell to Washington State as your insurance commission told me I would have to be licensed in the state of WA as an insurance salesperson as the commission considers this insurance, and I can not discount the insurance at any rate to a WA state person...." close quote. Anyway, he is very nice.....but the discount rate I am hearing from dealers here is 25% which is fine.....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Heard the same thing from someone in Florida. Ask if you can ride out and buy from them in person. Would make a nice shake down ride to the East coast. Then you could visit all the place out east that you have been wanting to ride to. Ie: Blue Ridge, The Dragon, etc.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Personally, I would go for the 2016, if you're paying for a brand new bike. The cornering lights would be worth it. I think that otherwise, I'd go for a used bike; severely discounted.

You'll pay a lot for a "new" bike that isnt really "new, but is a couple years older and just hasn't sold.

I always seem to come back to reality for me. Do I really need something different? Or is this just one instance of many, where the temptation is to let the marketing folks make the decisions for me. If so, that sucks. It's not their hard earned money they want too part with, but mine.

I look at other bikes. I'm not dead. [emoji4] But, I also weigh the cost-benefit ratio and don't let myself get carried away. Does it further the riding goal I have at retirement? If not, I could care less how "cool; the bike is. Marketing people are employed solely to part me with my hard earned money.

I don't want extra weight. I don't care how great the bike is. I don't want a chain. I think it is absolutely stupid to consider a bike that can pop a wheelie in third gear. That is an incredible waste that brings along negatives like car gas mileage, weight and heat. If I wanted a Huyabusa, I'd buy one.

I've looked at some of the newer alternatives like the F800GT and FJ09. The only things really going for them are their lighter weight. There are so many negatives when you start to look at them, that they quickly are crossed off the list.

I want a sport-touring bike that will take me south along the Pacific coast, then up through some very scenic canyons to home. After a couple weeks, I want to head north to visit my brother in Alaska.

I can't think of any bike that will do those trips better than an NT.

But don't let me stop you from buying an FJR. Just be sure to share on the FJR forum how great it is.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Actuallly, I agree with alot of what you say. I dont want all that power just like I didnt want all that power my C10 has....but over 12 years I learned how to live with it. But this bike speaks to me, and has been speaking to me for quite awhile now......Could I afford the 2016? It would only be $4,000 more....but I am not crazy about the color, this bike needs six gears like it needs a whole in the head, an it certainly doesnt need a taller first gear. The taller sixth would be nice. I rarely ride at night but the LED lights are worth something. I hope the canyon cages fit the Gen IV or they come out with ones that are as simple to attach...unlike the Gen II. The GenIIIs just go right on. As Chuck said, there is no U-Haul on the back of a herse and I dont want to regret not experiancing this bike with few "Not Infirm" years I have left. For those, I have the NT....
Since money isnt an issue for me, then all I have to loose is the hastle of selling the bike if I dont like it. I really like the looks of the red over the slate even though the slate is cheeper. I dont buy used bikes and I dont need to.
This bike has cruise, antilock breaks, and some sort of a traction control system and that all sound like safety stuff for me, especially with the bag protectors and canyon cages with slide knobs. I am tired of waiting for someone to bring out a real middleweight touring bike (I rode an F800GT...buzzy, rough riding, too sporty) and I hate chains and any touring bike that comes without a center stand just says "cheepended to sucker you in so you have to buy necessary items"
Within two years of me buying this bike, someone will bring out a true middleweight touring bike....for a reasonalble price, so you will have me to thank for that! Me? Maybe I will buy that one too but the NT has found its forever home and I suspect what everyone says is true....once you experience the FJR, and see how easy it is to maintain, you will never go back to a Connie....
(BTW, the GEN III FJRs are all out of the warehouses as near as I have found out and at the dealers...when these are gone, there will be none left...just like my Red NT, and boy am I glad I found a red one of those....and you get five years of warrenty for $500. Gotta do it! Life is short and I bet I have a whole lot of fun riding this bike around the west for the next 3-5 years, along with the NT.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Heard the same thing from someone in Florida. Ask if you can ride out and buy from them in person. Would make a nice shake down ride to the East coast. Then you could visit all the place out east that you have been wanting to ride to. Ie: Blue Ridge, The Dragon, etc.
YES here in wa... 500. Yes in Alabama....400. Not much real difference over five years, actually.
Various states have various laws.... https://www.yocracing.com/docs/yescontract.pdf and this isnt even all of them....

I have actually toured back east....sorry, but except for New England, there is nothing there for me....in a day here, I can be in Olympic Naitonal Park, or Yellowstone, or Glacier.. desert to rain forests to beaches to high desert to alpine medows...I am not a dragon person. The Beartooth highway is about as much excitment as I care to experience, and I am very careful on that one....I would like to see New England again by bike but I am retired and dont have any free time....I have 8 adventures planned already for this year on the wall calander....and will camp out over 30 days....nine of them at Reno alone....I lived for 40 years in ILLinois.....only one year did I tour east.....the rest of the time I went west, till one day a women at work said, "Why the H*** dont you MOVE out there??? So I did. And I dont miss a thing except for the cheep self medication! LOL! Some may love the east and more power to them....I will take Wyoming

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
BTW, I called D and H cycle in Alabama on how to get the YES extended warrenty for $395, and I am not saying this is correct, I am saying this is what he told me and I have no reason to doubt him...."I cant sell to Washington State as your insurance commission told me I would have to be licensed in the state of WA as an insurance salesperson as the commission considers this insurance, and I can not discount the insurance at any rate to a WA state person...." close quote. Anyway, he is very nice.....but the discount rate I am hearing from dealers here is 25% which is fine.....
Interesting.

When I was buying my NT, I bought the extended warranty from Blue Ridge Power Sports in Virginia - and saved a bunch of money. I guess Texas doesn't have the restrictive clauses you guys have in other states - or its just that Blue Ridge didn't know about any restrictions.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
YES here in wa... 500. Yes in Alabama....400. Not much real difference over five years, actually.
Various states have various laws.... https://www.yocracing.com/docs/yescontract.pdf and this isnt even all of them....

I have actually toured back east....sorry, but except for New England, there is nothing there for me....in a day here, I can be in Olympic Naitonal Park, or Yellowstone, or Glacier.. desert to rain forests to beaches to high desert to alpine medows...I am not a dragon person. The Beartooth highway is about as much excitment as I care to experience, and I am very careful on that one....I would like to see New England again by bike but I am retired and dont have any free time....I have 8 adventures planned already for this year on the wall calander....and will camp out over 30 days....nine of them at Reno alone....I lived for 40 years in ILLinois.....only one year did I tour east.....the rest of the time I went west, till one day a women at work said, "Why the H*** dont you MOVE out there??? So I did. And I dont miss a thing except for the cheep self medication! LOL! Some may love the east and more power to them....I will take Wyoming

I agree. Anything east of I-25 is too far east for me. There are a couple of Bucket list things out east, I want to do on the bike and with my wife but will get to them when she retires.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I’m sure you’ll love the FJR, Chris! If I was richer and if I had better knees, I’d probably be interested in one. But like Daboo says, the NT really meets all my needs and if mine ever wears out, I’ll probably find a used ABS version and transfer all my fancy farkles to it. Enjoy!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I’m sure you’ll love the FJR, Chris! If I was richer and if I had better knees, I’d probably be interested in one. But like Daboo says, the NT really meets all my needs and if mine ever wears out, I’ll probably find a used ABS version and transfer all my fancy farkles to it. Enjoy!
Thanks Phil! I may need some moral guidance from you here shortley. I want to sell my C10, a fine bike and runs well, but I dont want the hastle of selling it on the open market....for its $3,000 worth...so I would let it go for $1,000 to some worthy person here or on the COG board, or to some friend....I want to do a correct pick fairly and without partiality....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
So, what are you going to do with all your 'free time'? Sure not going to be lubin' a chain!
What's free time??? 2016. Three, maybe 4 major figure skating competitions, two major shooting events, two major airplane events, two major motorcycle trips plus the NT rally....Plus keeping up 15 acres and minor shooting events,etc. My 2016 wall calender is mighty full as it is.....

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chris,

I KNOW are going to be thrilled with the FJR All of the good things of the C-10 plus all of the updates Yamaha has added . It is a WIN-WIN situation.

Eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris,

I KNOW are going to be thrilled with the FJR All of the good things of the C-10 plus all of the updates Yamaha has added . It is a WIN-WIN situation.

Eldon
Oh yeah....the FJR is what the C14 should have been!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Interesting.

When I was buying my NT, I bought the extended warranty from Blue Ridge Power Sports in Virginia - and saved a bunch of money. I guess Texas doesn't have the restrictive clauses you guys have in other states - or its just that Blue Ridge didn't know about any restrictions.
Washington Insurance laws are very strict.....big lobbies pay for big laws to "protect" their interests.....WA state has the best govt that money can buy.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yes , for sure!! I agree with you 100%

Eldon
Eldon, and everyone, are there any bodies buryed in the FJR I should be aware of? I just learned of the weak sub-frame member than supports the luggage rack area and the "Stiffy".

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
O yea, The Stiffy, For got about that, as I don't carry a lot of weight on the rear of the bik (Givi TopBox). My camping gear is in my pocket and wallet.:) After seeing your pics of the amount of camping gear you pack, I would recommend the Stiffy. Mainly for peace of mind. With my Top Box, Givi's Topbox support rack assy ( SR357) seems to do the job for me. If or when my sub frame cracks then I will install a STiffy. Also, I did add mirror extenders (SW-MOTECH). Wanted to see the pretty red and blue flashing lights behind me instead of my shoulders. :):eek::redface: Other than that I have had NO PROBLEMS with my 2014 FJR in the Year and three months that I have owned it. Now with 10271 miles on her.

Waiting for better weather and road conditions to GO RIDE again.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chris , I just saw yourquestion, I thought I had told you about the sub frame support, It is not that much money for the peace of mind. Remember I told you there is not good passenger peg room for a pinion unless you remove the bags and maybe the rear canyon cages! and of course the windshield is too short and the seat like most seats didn't fit my spoiled fat butt! with your taller torso and longer arms you may not need the Heili Risor, basicly whatever you have done to NT to make it fot you the same will apply to fjr, but with the canyon cages you can have a parking lot drop and have no damage and be able to pick it up yourself.

Eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
O yea, The Stiffy, For got about that, as I don't carry a lot of weight on the rear of the bik (Givi TopBox). My camping gear is in my pocket and wallet.:) After seeing your pics of the amount of camping gear you pack, I would recommend the Stiffy. Mainly for peace of mind. With my Top Box, Givi's Topbox support rack assy ( SR357) seems to do the job for me. If or when my sub frame cracks then I will install a STiffy. Also, I did add mirror extenders (SW-MOTECH). Wanted to see the pretty red and blue flashing lights behind me instead of my shoulders. :):eek::redface: Other than that I have had NO PROBLEMS with my 2014 FJR in the Year and three months that I have owned it. Now with 10271 miles on her.

Waiting for better weather and road conditions to GO RIDE again.
Boy, I am farkeled out today! Ordered a Fenda Extenda, red side covers, canyon cages, bag roll bars, a Bigfoot, waiting for Stiffy to come in, ordered a Givi SRA 2109 rack as Motech never answered my question about why they dont make a alu-rack for any FJR past '07. Trying to find out how to order a maintenacne manual and from who (I hate dvds). And I am going to wait before I get my new windscrren till I get the bike. Then I gotta get the part number /yamaha name of that speical differential fluid and motoroil. And I think I will get a SW motech soft luggage carrier to mount on the Givi mount. It ends sometime, doesnt it? The mirrors look good to me as is, and I have a retired state patrol badge.... ;) Not that I would speed or anything......

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Boy, I am farkeled out today! Ordered a Fenda Extenda, red side covers, canyon cages, bag roll bars, a Bigfoot, waiting for Stiffy to come in, ordered a Givi SRA 2109 rack as Motech never answered my question about why they dont make a alu-rack for any FJR past '07. Trying to find out how to order a maintenacne manual and from who (I hate dvds). And I am going to wait before I get my new windscrren till I get the bike. Then I gotta get the part number /yamaha name of that speical differential fluid and motoroil. And I think I will get a SW motech soft luggage carrier to mount on the Givi mount. It ends sometime, doesnt it? The mirrors look good to me as is, and I have a retired state patrol badge.... ;) Not that I would speed or anything......
Well Chris, you are well on your way to Farkle Mania. Does not seem to ever end. I am still looking at what to put on my NT or Wee.
There is always the next big farkle you just have to have. Forums do not help save $$$ here..... Not to mention all the jackets, pants, helmets, gloves, boots, etc. my closet is full of bike gear! Don't think Linda has any idea of how much I have really spent on all this stuff and the bikes. And I am not going to tell her!

I have Louisiana State Trooper Association stickers on all my vehicles. Have supported them since 1980. Not that I am going to speed.....but they did save me from at least one ticket.

Farkle, Farkle, Farkle.......sounds like a turkey.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
One of the reasons I like riding with my neighbor is that he is a LEO. When we go through any of the smaller towns we stop and talk to the local cops, sometimes have coffee with them. I also learn where they hang out :)

Top Bottom